Royal Infirmary Grey Lady

I worked at the Royal Infirmary in the 70's and heard many tales of a ghost named the Grey Lady.Although I never saw anything, many of my work mates clamed strange things happening like lifts going up and down on their own,and one person claimed to have seen a grey lady walk through a wall. Has anyone had any experiences or memories of the Grey Lady?

I was in an out of the Infirmary in the late 60's/early 70's , usually on the skin ward. remember being told it was an old nurse/sister who'd committed suicide . there was supposed to be another one who walked the grounds. can also remember if you were walking wounded or not too ill you could be taken to see a film in an annexe but had to walk underground down some tunnels past the mortuary which was quite creepy.

I was working on the neurosurgical ward one night, in the 1960's and a pt asked if Miss Carberry was on I replied no, why? she said a lady in grey had just been in her room and asked how she was !

i heard that it was a sister who died, dont know how but if she catches any staff asleep or stood till they are awoke by a scream or a violent shake.

hi all,

nothing to do with the Infirmary;but the grey lady seems to get around,when we lived on middlewood road my dad would often refuse to go to bed until the early hours of the morning,whilst talking of the past this subject came to light.In his own words he would not venture up stairs till he knew the grey lady was gone from the top of the stairs.He was convinced she was there waiting for him.So anybody now living at 461 Middlewood Road "have you seen the grey lady?".

Jim.

grey ladies are a common sighting from buildings woods and lonely roads.

I worked at Infirmary in 79 & staff told me about grey lady and remember being terrified at time ! I worked on 15/16 ENT below Dermatology and was never comfortable when I went upstairs ! Im now seeing ghosts regularly and not really bothered anymore

Love to hear from any of the nurses who were there between 1961-1964

Julie Flynn, Janet Harrison, Pat Beal,Alison Godber.

Why are they always grey? I would love to hear from anyone who has seen a red one,or a green one perhaps.

Why are they always grey?...
I really don't know - unless perhaps 'grey' is associated with 'darkness' etc. One thing I can say (as a 1960s student nurse - (here's a photo - I'm easy to spot.;)) is that every nurses' home has a grey lady. She is supposed to have been escaping from a fire, and went back into the flames to rescue someone, but was burned to death.

Do they just look grey because they are allegedly spirit / mirage like, a grey hue ?

Isn't there a similar story to this about the old Middlewood Hospital?