Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers

I'm looking for a high quality cutlery manufacturer that still makes cutlery (including stainless steel) 100% in sheffield and wondering if anyone can help me? I've come across William Turner and Inkerman Silver, and just wondering what other companies still exist, and which manufacturers are rated highest for their quality and longevity.

Another link.http://taylors-eye-witness.co.uk/ I've got a filleting knife made by taylors and it's fantastic.

Edited by Stan Tamudo

Not many make them 100% in sheff a lot import the blades,J adams, nowills & sons on Scotland st make them 100 % you can watch them make them if you call in to buy a knife, http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk

what gfm1970 says is true, not many firms make their own products now. I think British Silverware do, I know for a fact the majority of David Mellors Cutlery is made mostly in Japan and just rollermarked David Mellor & their new Black Handled kitchen knives are made in China and are bought for between $3 up to $7 and then sold at a vast profit,the Steels alone are sold for £60.

Jack Adams used to (or still does) make and supply knives to the butcher's trade, I have a boning knife of theirs and it is superb. Traditional Sheffield table knives were made with a forged blade/tang with a separate handle glued on; this is the best method as it is light in comparison to the heavy, solid types made today. In the top quality sets, the forks and table spoons (as well as the knives) were made in this fashion. I have lots of examples dating from the 30s, the cutlery made in days gone by was superb.

I am sure Viners are still in sheffield, I used to work for them in the 50's

and from personal knowledge know their cutlery was first class,

Jean

I am sure Viners are still in sheffield, I used to work for them in the 50's

and from personal knowledge know their cutlery was first class,

Jean

Viners were bought out several years ago by Oneida, a US company with a warehouse/distribution unit in N London. Most (if not all of their cutlery is imported from China).

Like others have said, you'll struggle to get 100% Sheffield manufactured cutlery anymore. Most of the blanks are imported, although I think Carrs still make some here.

W Wright is a good call. You could also try Deeley's (Arthur Price) at Handsworth.

P.S. Just because cutlery is manufactured in China doesn't necessarily mean it's poor quality. there's some very good quality products coming in from China and Eastern Europe. (I'd give the Indian subcontinent product a wide berth though, they struggle to get the quality of steel)

Edited by Raggy
Afterthought added

Thanks for that info Raggy, I have been in Oz for 40 yrs now so not up to date with steel industry now

Jean

I had a bowie knife made a few years ago by jack adams,made in high polished carbon steel,it was so good one of my friends in germany who is a qualifyed hunter begged me to sell it to him,he had never seen such a good knife,he still has it to this day.We still have the skills which made sheffield world famous.You must know that you can always tell a sheffielder when they sit for a meal the first thing they do is look at the knife and fork,no matter where in the world they are!!