Squirrels...are they vermin?

We have two greys in the trees at the bottom of the garden. I had no Idea that they steal eggs and chicks.. this would explain why the magpies were going crackers the otherday.I cant work out whos nest it is in the tree. I thought the magpies were trying to get the squirrils young from the nest, but maybe it was the other way round.

i'm sure they are vermin.

but they're cute.got a couple near my stbales that are a pleasure to watch.

Originally posted by honeyplanet

We have two greys in the trees at the bottom of the garden. I had no Idea that they steal eggs and chicks.. this would explain why the magpies were going crackers the otherday.

Me neither. I always thought squirrels were herbivores :o

Originally posted by Abdul

Me neither. I always thought squirrels were herbivores :o

Well yes I did too Abdul, I have been bitten by an injured grey before I still have the scars (they have lockjawyou know)

I leave monkey nuts out for the two in the trees and they sit and eat them on the wall.. Maybe I should leave them a couple of eggs instead :shocked:

they are herbivores however they do apparently raid the odd nest for eggs. not sure if thats all of them or the ones that have learnt to do it thru neccessity.

Originally posted by willman

they are herbivores however they do apparently raid the odd nest for eggs. not sure if thats all of them or the ones that have learnt to do it thru neccessity.

If it only the eggs they go for and not the chicks, that would makes sense, I suppose. They're vegetarian, not vegan :suspect:

Catch them then set them free in the in the botanical gardens.

I only ever seen them hear and it such fun to watch them run arround wile you have your picknick and throw nuts to them so they dont nick your food :hihi:

But no i think they are vermin but are sweet to look at,Better lookin then some other vermin we have hear.

I like taking the kids to the Botanicals to feed the squirells.

My daughter thinks its great when they take the nuts out of her hands.

The problem with grey squirrels is not that they're vermin (that's a matter of opinion) but that they're an introduced species - ie not indigenous to Britain.

As such they have become so successful that they have driven the indigenous Red Squirrel to the brink of extinction. They also do a lot of damage to trees etc, which is the main reason people hate them.

To those animal lovers feeling sorry for the grey squirrels, think on this. In Australia, camels, donkeys and horses which were used for transportation in the outback a century ago, escaped into the wild and have bred to incredible proportions.

I forget the exact figures but something like TEN THOUSAND wild horses and camels are shot every year to keep them from breaking fences and/or eating crops. Personally I find it disgusting that this slaughter happens, but not many Australians seem to give a toss. "We must protect the farmers' livelihood", is the stock reply whenever the carnage is mentioned.

Hate the little sods, more so since I caught one devouring the young from a nest of Great tits in my garden. I have managed to despatch a couple with a spade.

Reply from RSPB:

Hello *******

Grey squirrels do take birds eggs and fledglings. They are just one of a wide variety of animals that will raid nests. This is probably not a major part of their diet but over the birds breeding season squirrels will inevitably come across nests and take advantage of an easy meal. Of course there are birds that will eat squirrels and their young. Not only birds of prey but corvids could take young squirrels.

Regards

Richard James

Wildlife Advisor

RSPB UK HQ

The Lodge, Sandy, Beds, England

SG19 2DL

01767 680551

http://www.rspb.org.uk