Council rent - do you still get "free" weeks over Christmas?

Jeffrey Shaw

Various threads on same topic now merged (again).

Message added by Jeffrey Shaw

Two weeks of free rent of what?

All council tenants in Sheffield have their annual rent divided by fifty, not 52; and therefore the two weeks over Christmas and New Year, no rent is payable.

And it is, indeed, all council tenants. Not that it makes much difference if your entire rent bill is covered by housing benefit.

as far as I know its only people in council homes that receive 2 rent free weeks

Does anyone know if place for people get the 2 weeks free rent at xmas?

If you pay rent to sheffield city council everyone gets 2 free rent weeks.

You have 2 free weeks rent 20th and 27th of December, only people with an account in the black can have it. you must not be in arrears with your rent or have an order seeking possesion of your property ..... simples

All council tenants in Sheffield have their annual rent divided by fifty, not 52; and therefore the two weeks over Christmas and New Year, no rent is payable.

However, if you're not up to date with your rent, you end up being charged rent for those 2 weeks as well.

You have 2 free weeks rent 20th and 27th of December, only people with an account in the black can have it. you must not be in arrears with your rent or have an order seeking possesion of your property ..... simples

Im with Sanctuary, I got a letter saying my 'free' weeks were the weeks commencing 13th and 20th.

Different social landlords such as Places for People may operate free rent weeks, their tenants should know if any such agreement exists. Its already been pointed out that rent is calculated annually, and instead of being divided by 52, its divided by 50 to give two 'free' weeks. Tenants who still pay their rent on a weekly or fortnightly basis don't have to pay for those two weeks if their rent account is up to date.

Tenants who pay monthly, by direct debit, have their rent account divided by 12 so won't notice any difference. And tenants whose rent account is in arrears must pay ever week as normal.

However, if you're not up to date with your rent, you end up being charged rent for those 2 weeks as well.

Is that true? I thought it was merely a case of using those two weeks to pay off some of your arrears.

Is that true? I thought it was merely a case of using those two weeks to pay off some of your arrears.

Youre right, theyre not going to charge you extra if youre in arrears, its just so you can catch up a bit.

When do they start? We've always had them every year so i'm just wondering when they start this year.

Council residents I do believe!

It's not actually two weeks free rent, they pay slightly extra (a couple of pounds a week) throughout the year to cover it.