Little London Road, Heeley in 30's & 40's

If the family are buried in a council cemetary such as Abbey Lane or City road then your best bet would be to book an appointment to use one of the microfilm machines in the Sheffield Archives on Shoreham Street. [tel. 2039395]

The council do not keep records of people buried in church graveyards so you'd have to contact the church directly. There's another possible council cemetary at Intake on Mansfield road but I can't remember what it's name is.

Wallbuilder,

it is actually Intake Cemetery, on Mansfield Road, an uncle and aunt of mine are buried there.

(There's also a council cemetery at Shiregreen, for the info of the questioner)

PT

Originally posted by Greybeard

My grandfather worked at Tyzacks and I went to several of their kids Christmas parties in the 40s. The footpath to Broadfield Road went through Tyzacks under an archway and then onto a wooden footbridge over the river. Very useful shortcut that.

My Dad worked at Tyzack's for over 30 years. He started working there at the age of 14 round about 1920. I don't remember any Christmas parties but I do remember the annual sports day at the Nags Head in Dronfield.

Originally posted by CHAIRBOY

Am I right in thinking Tyzack's had a factory at Little London? I remember trainspotting there, when it was wet, as there was a covered ride which led to Broadfield Road.

Abbey Glen laundry was just a bit further up the back road.

My Mum worked at Tyzaks & I played football for Abby Glen at Millhouses.

This morning I received the death certificate for John Robert Garbutt.

He was living at 28 Keswick Road, Millhouses when he died on 3rd December 1955.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Bearing in mind i'm not 100% sure this is THE John Robert Garbutt, but if anyone recalls this family in Millhouses then I would appreciate any more info (especially if he had a wife called May).

Thanks again

Sandy

If you look up the 1890 map of Sheffield it does not show Little London Road at all. There is a mill pond and various buildings.

I can only remember factories (Laycocks?) and bomb sites, as well as the railway sidings.

I seem to remember houses towards the end at Woodseats Road

Hi I was born and raised at the bottom of Valley Rd untill 1973 ,I used to play with a " Steven Garbutt" Who lived on Little London in the fifties and sixties.

It has got to be the same Family but I cant tell you any more about them

I to remember the sound of trains in the shunting yard and worked at Tyzack sons and Turners till 1973.A bad house fire killed an elderly lady in the early sixties at the bottom of Little London Rd.

Best of luck

Regards

David S Downing

Not much help, 1963 dir.--28 Keswick road L.GARBUTT

not there in 1948

Hi Sandy1 welcome to the forum.

I was born on Little London Road in 1948. We moved from there in 1963 when they pulled down the houses.

My family name is Garbutt, my father was called Walter. I can't remember a John Garbutt. My mums name was Kathleen.

My father worked at Tyzak sons and Turners as a scythe grinder having previously worked at the,what is now a industrial museum at millhouses,until 1940. Tyzaks was Little London works and was located at the end of Little London Rd. You could walk along a Jennel to Heeley baths passing by Tyzaks and over a bridge which spanned the Sheaf. The baths were located just behind the Abbeydale picture house.

A bomb dropped at the end of Little London Rd. on Chesterfield Road,my elder brother and I were in Heeley picture house during the Thursday Blitz and we heard that bomb come screeming down as we stood in the foyer.We were dragged by a large policeman into the shelter under the railway arches.

Hi Sandy1

You say the John Garbutt you are looking for lived at 11 Lttle London Road, well that was my address. My mum and dad lived their through the war years. they had six sons, two of them died,(John and Bobby) The other four sons were called, Ian, James, Stephen and Martin

My Father was called Walter Frederick Garbutt, he used to worked at Tyzacks as a grinder, until he retired at 65. He also did bar work at the Crown inn on chesterfield road for many years

As I said in my last reply we left Little London Road in the 60's and moved upto Lowedges estate. My dad, died in 1979 and was cremated at Hutcliffe wood cemetery, which is near Millhouses

Hi Sandy1 welcome to the forum.

I was born on Little London Road in 1948. We moved from there in 1963 when they pulled down the houses.

My family name is Garbutt, my father was called Walter. I can't remember a John Garbutt. My mums name was Kathleen.

hi jauntyone a friend of mine at school i think used to live on little london road his name was brian gallagher did you know him ? he would have been born about 1950 and i think would have lived there 1950s / early 60s .