Sheffield Hallam University - Nurse training

My god, don't you students just moan so much.

The hard work is to prepare you for the reality of the profession once you are qualified.

75% of qualified staff have kids but still have to work the shifts.

You will still have to continue with studies -mostly in your own time and quite often at your own expense, to fulfill your NMC Prep requirements and/or help you get further in your chosen career.

Patients are in hospital 24/7, therefore they need nursing round the clock.

True its hard work, true the hours are difficult (for everyone), we all have families, some young, some old but we still want to spend time with them.

But stick it out, put your heart in it and you will enjoy the rewards.

hi all, i just qualified as an adult nurse this september from the university of sheffield. Talking to student nurses from hallam they do seem to get a tougher time with more exams and assignments that we did. The placement thing is the worst thing though, my placements were always in sheffield at ngh and rhh. Placements were allocated depending on where you were based to do your theory and what area you lived in eg doncaster, sheffield, chesterfield. i felt really sorry for the students that had come all the way from doncaster and then had to catch a bus and train back after a long shift!

I work as a clinical support worker at the Hallamshire hospital and we have 3 newly qualified nurses that have just joined us. While they love the work they are shocked at the reality of working on a busy ward.

The sheer amount of paperwork means they never finish a shift on time and often do the paperwork during their meal break.

I considered becoming a nurse and went to the open day at Hallam back in February, they were very keen to sign me up once they knew I met the entry level requirements, so whoever said they sign up too many students might be right!

Also I know 2 support workers who used to be nurses, left to have babies and came back as support workers because it meant more contact with the patients and no paperwork and staying over at the end of a shift!

I absolutely love my job and am glad I didn't go down the nursing route. Being a support worker isn't all about changing beds wiping bottoms, we do a lot of the less skilled jobs that nurses used to do but now don't have the time to do!

hi all, i just qualified as an adult nurse this september from the university of sheffield. Talking to student nurses from hallam they do seem to get a tougher time with more exams and assignments that we did. The placement thing is the worst thing though, my placements were always in sheffield at ngh and rhh. Placements were allocated depending on where you were based to do your theory and what area you lived in eg doncaster, sheffield, chesterfield. i felt really sorry for the students that had come all the way from doncaster and then had to catch a bus and train back after a long shift!

Yes, 2 people I know went to UoS to do nurse training, one who had to leave and go back to SHU and one who qualified. Both say it was much different and placements were all in Sheffield.

And whoever said students moan... well I hope it wasn't aimed at me as I have pointed the things you say out... eg that is the reality of nursing BUT when at uni they place you wherever whenever whereas in the real worls you could choose where your job is and some areas are not all 27hr care.

Two things - Paid tuition fees and bursary for a professional qualification! Stop moaning and be grateful!

Two things - Paid tuition fees and bursary for a professional qualification! Stop moaning and be grateful!

Who's moaning? And for the hours you put in the bursary isn't fantastic for a lot of people especially if they are on placement (full time). It IS aq big bonus though, as these are courses that are 'free' and you get ££ for going but anyone going in it for the money should probably consider that it is a LOT more intense than most uni courses. I am sure it'll be worth it in the end, otherwise I would stick to earning more doing full time office work but I want to be a nurse, so that's what I will do... eventually! :hihi:

I do agree that the course is much more intense than others and bursary is`nt fantastic however there is plenty of time whilst not on placement to work for extra money. Enhancements to bursary awards are also available for mature students and those with kids. I think my views are a little tainted by others on my course who moaned continually about money/shift times/lack of tutorial support. Really got the feeling that they expected their qualification to be handed to them on a plate.

Good luck with the course!

SHU nurses are the best. I'm not on a course but after a spell in the northern general I have a high opinion of them. Hadn't given up the will to live like the rest of them!

Sheffield Uni nurses are the best BTW!:hihi::thumbsup:

two of my friends, with young children have doen this course, and I have seen them nearly rip their hair out!

They get given unrealistic work (5 to 6 essays to finish by wed of next week, for example) and have to start shifts at 6am - meaning they can't get childcare at that time. Imagine what lengths they both have to go to to try and get their children to scholl and go on placement. I know my friend has problems with the help financial wise she gets from this also and tbh I am surpised she is still on the course. her shifts atm have been 6-6 for ten days running without a day off....so when is she supposed to do the huge amounts of essays?

I have had tears, screaming, the lot from her about it. So IMO, i'd think VERY carefully before doing this course as it is prob the most hardest one to do! obviously everyoen is different and studies, deals with things differently but these are two of my friends, aged 28 and 31, with one child each of 6 and 13.

I'm in year 2 at SHU. We had 4 assignments in year one and two exams. We had at least 3 months notice for each assignment - some people (myself included) leave them til the last minute....which is where the stress comes in I imagine but it's not SHU's fault.

As for placements - 17 weeks in total in year one comprising 37.5 hours per week. And nurses start early and finish late sometimes - perhaps your mate should have thought about the realities of shift working before she applied.

I'm a parent - I plan ahead....but when things get stressful I don't blame SHU.

I'm in year 2 at SHU. We had 4 assignments in year one and two exams. We had at least 3 months notice for each assignment - some people (myself included) leave them til the last minute....which is where the stress comes in I imagine but it's not SHU's fault.

As for placements - 17 weeks in total in year one comprising 37.5 hours per week. And nurses start early and finish late sometimes - perhaps your mate should have thought about the realities of shift working before she applied.

I'm a parent - I plan ahead....but when things get stressful I don't blame SHU.

I agree. I don't want my posts to come across like I blame SHU, either. As I said it does seem as if there are too many students at times and I think I must be unlucky in having things go wrong, but it's not really been SHU's fault- more like the fates for making me and my OH, daughter and babysitter ill within a few weeks, Humberside Police for ignoring all requests from the CRB place to hurry my CRB up instead of leaving it for 3 months til I could chase it myself, and the stupid uniform supplier who denied having my order then sent it to the wrong place! Oh well... all character building eh!

I do think someone who says they have 4 or 5 essays due in at once and works 120 hours over 6 solid days may be fibbing though! Unless they have failed and are re-submitting assignments as well as doing current work?

And yes, anyone who moans about hours should consider the career they want. I am prepared for earlies, lates, nights as most ward-based nurses will have to work all of these. Obviously you choose where and when you work when you qualify but you need to experience things. As for placements being far away, it is a huge bummer but they do tell you this before hand. I try to think that it is only for 3 yrs then you can direct where you go from that yourself. I blame myself somewhat as, could I drive (and be confident enough to travel a long way) I may have been able to sort last minute childcare out and go on my placement anyway for the experience, but as it stands, I can't and won't be able to but I am lucky to have the option to say no with leaving anyway so for that I am thankful.

So a tip- if anyone applying can't drive, do your best to pass and get a car to avoid 3-4hrs+ on a bus per day on top of working and home life, I sure wish I had bucked my ideas up before!

Thanks for the replies..they have really helped. I'm not frightened of hard work..ive worked at RHH for 18 years!! so hopefully should be ok although im sure the stress of essays etc is the same for every course ..thanks again xx