Please help which course is better OCR OR ECDL?

In terms of learning new skills (ie beginners), ECDL is very poor, and indeed for dyslexic learners, a complete nightmare. ECDL is good for people who already have IT skills, that simply need a qualification to prove they have the skills they already have (which is backward in my opinion).

For learning IT skills, CLAIT is by far the better course, its practical hands on approach is very popular with many people.

When I have ran classes, I have found people who have passed the ECDL, have poor IT skills, and become baffled with the most simple of tasks.

In terms of the best one for employability, ECDL is the one employers are wanting.

I haven't much experience of CLAIT, but I know in years gone by it was basically a typing course. Having skimmed some of the OCR documentation just now I'm not sure that many of the modules have much use in a work environment. (e-Image creation, Living Online?)

The ECDL course covers the basics of Word, Excel and Powerpoint very well in my opinion - as mentioned previously the database (access) module is rubbish, but then I suspect the CLAIT one is too, and equally irrelevant. The type of database you learn to do on a course at this level (flat as opposed to relational) is much better managed in Excel than Access, which in any case is software many companies don't have.

The European Computer Driving Licence is well named in that one can draw parallels with a car driving licence - it says you are competent to drive, but when you drive there is always more to learn, and you get better the more you do it.

I taught ECDL to people who had never used a computer before, and took an hour and a half to be able to double-click (Solitaire on a PC does have a use!) Why do you think it is less suited than CLAIT to people who have no IT skills? I guess the problem for people who are dyslexic with ECDL is that you have to type in blocks of text and then edit / format them? How does CLAIT get around this - do they provide the documents typed already?

I haven't much experience of CLAIT, but I know in years gone by it was basically a typing course. Having skimmed some of the OCR documentation just now I'm not sure that many of the modules have much use in a work environment. (e-Image creation, Living Online?)

The ECDL course covers the basics of Word, Excel and Powerpoint very well in my opinion - as mentioned previously the database (access) module is rubbish, but then I suspect the CLAIT one is too, and equally irrelevant. The type of database you learn to do on a course at this level (flat as opposed to relational) is much better managed in Excel than Access, which in any case is software many companies don't have.

The European Computer Driving Licence is well named in that one can draw parallels with a car driving licence - it says you are competent to drive, but when you drive there is always more to learn, and you get better the more you do it.

I taught ECDL to people who had never used a computer before, and took an hour and a half to be able to double-click (Solitaire on a PC does have a use!) Why do you think it is less suited than CLAIT to people who have no IT skills? I guess the problem for people who are dyslexic with ECDL is that you have to type in blocks of text and then edit / format them? How does CLAIT get around this - do they provide the documents typed already?

For the first few units they do yes.

It's just a case of editing the formatting etc as detailed in the instructions.

For the first few units they do yes.

It's just a case of editing the formatting etc as detailed in the instructions.

Thanks Rich.

As an employer I'd want to know people could type at a reasonable speed too, so I guess that is why ECDL is preferred?