Noises coming from new extension

Hi all. As some of you know, we had an extension done last summer. Ever since its been doing my head in because it sounds like someone is breaking in at night. I keep hearing taps and cracks loud enough to be as if someone has banged on the door or wall.

It went on for 3 hours this morning, starting at 5.35, and ended about half 8. I got sick of it after 10 minutes of it so went to check there was no one at the door downstairs.

I've had a listen and it sounds to be coming from the outside wall where the door is and near the top of the extension (roof).

It's way too loud for it to be birds on the roof, so someone please help me out!

Also, only after 6 months we have mould in the bedroom. We have the vents open all the time, and in mornings the bathroom window open to let the sun in. It's only surface mould as yet but how can we stop this?

Cheers for reading :)

---------- Post added 05-01-2017 at 11:05 ----------

Can admin put this back in general discussions please as I need this problem sorting asap

Have you got an extraction fan in the bathroom?

The tapping knocking, could that be some excess underlay used in the roofing thats flapping about??

Is it a single story extension and is there any cracks anywhere on the walls ?

Does it have a bay window ?

Is it a pitched or flat roof? if its flat and they have put Grp on it could be the edge / wall fillets creaking with expansion.

Would contact the builder that did it though, he's obviously seen the job so could shed some light. No-one can really diagnose a problem without seeing the job.

The tapping knocking, could that be some excess underlay used in the roofing thats flapping about??

Yes i would go for extractor unit or if a pitched roof wind blowing through vents in soffit and some loose root felt :hihi::hihi:Cooker hood extractor vent flap outside same as bathroom common fault took mine off sick of it banging

Edited by spider1

Yes there's an extractor in there. Its even too loud to be excess underlay flapping, and sounds more like a knock. I've had a look and can't see anything on the roof.

---------- Post added 05-01-2017 at 20:46 ----------

Is it a single story extension and is there any cracks anywhere on the walls ?

Does it have a bay window ?

It's a double, but the top floor is only half size of the bottom. There's no cracks as far as I can see. No bay window

---------- Post added 05-01-2017 at 20:46 ----------

Is it a pitched or flat roof? if its flat and they have put Grp on it could be the edge / wall fillets creaking with expansion.

Would contact the builder that did it though, he's obviously seen the job so could shed some light. No-one can really diagnose a problem without seeing the job.

It's a pitched roof, and yes will contact him first thing tomorrow.

---------- Post added 05-01-2017 at 20:48 ----------

Yes i would go for extractor unit or if a pitched roof wind blowing through vents in soffit and some loose root felt :hihi::hihi:Cooker hood extractor vent flap outside same as bathroom common fault took mine off sick of it banging

It's really getting on my nerves lol, got to a point where I've recorded it on my phone to show the builders tomorrow in case it doesn't happen.

Strange thing is that it only seems to happen at night/early morning.

I asked about the bay window because I have a plastic framed upvc bay and when the sun gets on it or a change of tempreture it usually makes a cracking sound

Edited by Snooker147

That happens in the other living room, it's a different sound to that.

Could it be timed with the switch on of the central heating system warming up the pipes - Ours certainly creak first thing!

HI did you find the solution to the noise if so could you say what it was in case anyone else has similar problem // cheers:hihi::hihi:

HI did you find the solution to the noise if so could you say what it was in case anyone else has similar problem // cheers:hihi::hihi:

is your problem fixed, did you contact your builder and get it sorted

Thanks for your input to the forum bertyboop you realy are a charmer :hihi::hihi::hihi: