Service station open xmas day

Unfortunately, many outlets are now open on Christmas day.

I have used a petrol station on Christmas day before - had a chat with the person behind the counter who said he had had quite a few customers.

Our local 'corner' shop is also open - a Spar.

Whilst I'm not working this Christmas day, I have done in the past. I'd much prefer not to but it comes with the job.

Do you know if the people at the Wordsworth Avenue filling station are getting paid extra?

You must do a lot of miles if you cant go one day without filling ………. But that’s not the point, many of these petrol stations are convenience stores and there is always a demand for those.

They are probably a taxi driver bus driver etc aren't they so its not unusual to need to fill up more often :)

The problem with working Christmas day is that people are made to work who don't have a choice, such as waitresses. Usually people who would rather spend the day with their families would get sacked if they refused to come in. I understand services such as hospitals etc should be open but if one shop opens, over the years all of them will. It's about competitive business.

The problem with working Christmas day is that people are made to work who don't have a choice, such as waitresses. Usually people who would rather spend the day with their families would get sacked if they refused to come in. I understand services such as hospitals etc should be open but if one shop opens, over the years all of them will. It's about competitive business.

The staff I've spoken to about Xmas love the triple or quadruple time they get, as well as tips.

I have sympathy for any real Christians who are forced to work on the holiest of days (or is that Easter Sunday?), but for many its just a family get together and pig out while watching the TV, there's nothing more religious about that than a regular Sunday.

With regards to the OP and petrol stations, the guys who tirelessly man these 24x7 are usually Asian so I imagine Jesus's birthday doesn't mean that much to them.

Yes, I'm sad that the religious meaning of Xmas is pretty much dead now, but so is the notion of a white Christian church-going Britain, you can't have it both ways.

What good is filling up beforehand if the distance you have to go and come back from means you are going to have to fill up? I travelled to London and back on christmans day a couple of years ago, not sure how I would have managed it without a garage being open.

Crikey! What car do you drive? My car has a 2.2L engine and does around 500 miles on a full tank. I must admit I never run mine empty though. When I used to drive 200 -300 miles a day I twice went into a motorway service station and found they had run out of diesel!

Can't garages use pay at the pump without someone being in the kiosk?

Can't garages use pay at the pump without someone being in the kiosk?

Because they would loose £££££ from fleet divers

when i went to scotland earlier this year i went to a asda filling station although it was a pay at pump only no kiosk what so ever

Because they would loose £££££ from fleet divers

Why? :huh: When I've driven a company fleet car I've either used a company fuel card, company credit card or my own card and claimed it back at so much per mile. Is there another method of payment for fleet vehicles I don't know about? I used to manage my filling up when i did 300 miles per day. Some areas of the country are very expensive for fuel so I always filled up at home where possible. Rural areas without much competition are much more expensive.

Why? :huh: When I've driven a company fleet car I've either used a company fuel card, company credit card or my own card and claimed it back at so much per mile. Is there another method of payment for fleet vehicles I don't know about? I used to manage my filling up when i did 300 miles per day. Some areas of the country are very expensive for fuel so I always filled up at home where possible. Rural areas without much competition are much more expensive.

The fuel cards we have (and i have had the same in previous jobs) are not chip and PIN.

There is no way im shelling out £70-£95 nearly every day and attempting to claim back

The fuel cards we have (and i have had the same in previous jobs) are not chip and PIN.

There is no way im shelling out £70-£95 nearly every day and attempting to claim back

A lot of fleet drivers these days don't have fuel cards so the garage isn't going to loose all fleet business. Are you saying you can't manage 24 hours without filling up? I managed it without a problem when I was doing 300 miles per day. Perhaps this was because I had to claim back so much per mile and didn't have a fuel card. Its amazing how easy it becomes to fill up at cheaper garages when the price makes a difference. Thats the reason a lot of employers in my sector moved away from fuel cards.

If you fill up on xmas eve you can still manage until boxing day morning on a full tank surely? How many miles can the average car do on a full tank?

A lot of fleet drivers these days don't have fuel cards so the garage isn't going to loose all fleet business. Are you saying you can't manage 24 hours without filling up? I managed it without a problem when I was doing 300 miles per day. Perhaps this was because I had to claim back so much per mile and didn't have a fuel card. Its amazing how easy it becomes to fill up at cheaper garages when the price makes a difference. Thats the reason a lot of employers in my sector moved away from fuel cards.

If you fill up on xmas eve you can still manage until boxing day morning on a full tank surely? How many miles can the average car do on a full tank?

We have large fleet, all on fuel cards. We (usually) need to to fill each vehicle daily. It is very poor practice for us to let the fuel drop low. We dont drive for economy.

Previous companies ive worked for had similar fuel cards, the cards stop with the vehicle.

We have large fleet, all on fuel cards. We (usually) need to to fill each vehicle daily. It is very poor practice for us to let the fuel drop low. We dont drive for economy.

Previous companies ive worked for had similar fuel cards, the cards stop with the vehicle.

Funny how you are missing some points I raised. Are you doing this on purpose to prove a point?

So you can't fill up on xmas eve, drive 300 miles, still leave enough fuel for 200 more miles in the tank and fill up first thing on boxing day? I know the diference in fuel consumption between town and motorway driving. I also know how many hours it would take you to drive 300 - 400 miles if its not on a motorway.

Every big company I've worked at with a large fleet of commercial vehicles has their own pumps as its much cheaper to buy fuel that way.