Taking a child abroad without parents - do I need permission?

I understand that America requires both parents to sign a letter of authority

My partner & I are just back from a mini-cruise and stay in Amsterdam taking his daughter and her sister (8 & 11 yr old). Fortunately their mum prepared letters confirming her consent to the trip as we were asked for evidence at every passport control both in the UK and on arrival in Holland. We plan on taking them further a field next year and will certainly make sure we have consent letters with us. We also had a bit of a problem getting insurance as we don’t all live at the same address, or have the same surname, we managed to get a family annual policy from Insureandgo.

My sister is taking my son to Turkey in September the travel agent said it was ok for him to go but she had to take out a different insurance policy because they said he is technically traveling alone.She has the same surname as him aswell.He is 13 years old.

Daz

Yeah, I wrote a letter for mine, with my passport copy attached and my partner's, signed by us both and had a professional witness it and sign and asked the professional to write a contact number so that they may be contacted to verify, even out of working hours, just in case!!

We took my daughter's friend to Majorca a few years ago - had not problems at all!

It's two years since the OP. I wonder whether they actually needed any of the documentation suggested?