Potatoes going yellow

I've got a small veggie patch in a shady area of the garden and the potatoes are starting to go yellow and die!

I'm assuming this is Blight as my tomatoes died of the same thing last year and potatoes the year before that.

The question is, are they still edible?

What should I do with the dead plants? Can they go on the compost heap or back dug back into the soil? Does blight affect anything else other than potatoes and tomatoes?

Guest sibon
I've got a small veggie patch in a shady area of the garden and the potatoes are starting to go yellow and die!

I'm assuming this is Blight as my tomatoes died of the same thing last year and potatoes the year before that.

The question is, are they still edible?

What should I do with the dead plants? Can they go on the compost heap or back dug back into the soil? Does blight affect anything else other than potatoes and tomatoes?

It could be blight, we've certainly had the right weather for it. Blight usually starts with dark patches on the leaves. Read and see more here

If it is blight, you can still eat the potatoes, but they won't store very well.

Don't compost the plants, burn them if you can.

It could be blight, we've certainly had the right weather for it. Blight usually starts with dark patches on the leaves. Read and see more here

If it is blight, you can still eat the potatoes, but they won't store very well.

Don't compost the plants, burn them if you can.

It doesn't seem to have been to wet recently - I thought that was one of the causes of blight?

Guest sibon
It doesn't seem to have been to wet recently - I thought that was one of the causes of blight?

It was warm and wet for most of last week. That triggered blight alerts in quite a few areas, I'm not sure if Sheffield was one.

My spuds look fine so far... they all died of blight last year :(

We get blight every year on our plot and cut the tops off as soon as we see the tell tale blotches on the leaves . The spuds can be left in the ground for three weeks or so.We carefully sort out any affected tubers and store the rest.We've had spuds at Christmas.It is probably wise to plant blight resistant varieties such as Sante or Robinta tho.

We get blight every year on our plot and cut the tops off as soon as we see the tell tale blotches on the leaves . The spuds can be left in the ground for three weeks or so.We carefully sort out any affected tubers and store the rest.We've had spuds at Christmas.It is probably wise to plant blight resistant varieties such as Sante or Robinta tho.

What do you mean by 'blotches'? The leaves on my potatoes seem to have just gone yellow? Also, it's not affected all the plants! I'm wondering - is this definitely Blight?

generally the first sign of blight is brown or black blotches on the leaves quickly followed by the plant turning yellow then collapsing.In my experience this happens in a matter of days. So if your plants are still standing it mat not be blight.