The best way to roast lamb shoulder (where's a cooking group when you need one)

Ok so tomorrow for Sunday lunch we are cooking two smallish lamb shoulder joints. I have never cooked this before so all advice appreciated! So, how long do I cook it for? What temp? Please help :D

I think smaller joints need slower cooking at a low temp, so as not to dry out. Give it 25-30 minutes per pound, plus 20 minutes, at about 170-180 C. 25 mins per lb if you like it pink, 30 for medium. Leave to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving, but eat while it's hot.

Does cooking two small require any extra time because there is two of them? Or do I just weigh them seperatly, work out the cooking time seperatly etc?

Cooking group is coming soon i'm assured. So problems like these will be in the past!

Is the meat on the bone? I'm guessing it is. Heres what you do.

Like most cheaper cuts of meat shoulder needs cooking long and slow to render all that fat down and make it delicious and soft.

So get the meat out of the fridge so you are cooking it from room temperature. Never cook cold meat it adds more cooking time on and is just not a good way of cooking.

Flavour the lamb with your favourite flavouring things! Garlic, rosemary, lemon, thyme, lemon thyme, pepper, sage, savoury all go great with lamb so chop it all up and rub it on or marinade the meat for a good hour or so.

preheat the oven to gas 2-3, 1-2 if you have a fan oven or the electric equivilants then get you meat and put it on a grill rack over the roasting tray put it in the oven for at least a couple of hours, if you're nervous it'll be overdone lower the temprature to avoid overcooking. turn it occasionally and baste and season it when you do.

Also if the grill is high enough or you want to put the roasting tin on the shelf below then put your potatoes in there after the meats been in for about an hour for superb roasties

Because you're cooking mulitple pieces of meat a time guide isn't a good way to measure how cooked it is. Instead you're going to have to use a slightly more eccentric method!

Do me a favour. Take a finger and push your cheek. This is how rare meat feels

Now take your finger and push the front part of your chin. Do you feel the difference between that and your cheek? Thats how medium cooked meat feels.

Now push your temple. Feel how theres very little give? Thats well done.

Prod your meat! Its a surefire way to gauge how its cooked.

Also let it rest for a minimum of 20 minutes before carving it. Preferably 30 mins and if you're organised like i'm usually not give it 45.

Happy lunch!

If my advice seems a little lightweight and vague then Jamie oliver did a great recipe for shoulder of lamb in hos last series so if you can track that episode down or you have the book then try that

Lamb baked in hay is great, recipes online.

mmm you make it sound delicious! Oh well, i'm sure it will be somewhere near edible when i've finished with it :hihi:

Thank you!

Lamb baked in hay is great, recipes online.
Alot of foods are good cooked this way but its not the most practical way of doing things!

mmm you make it sound delicious! Oh well, i'm sure it will be somewhere near edible when i've finished with it :hihi:

Thank you!

Don't panic, its more difficult to get it wrong than right. Just be patient and remember to turn it, baste it and season it and you'll be fine

Alot of foods are good cooked this way but its not the most practical way of doing things!

Especially not when you are cooking at your (sort of) mother in laws house and not in your own kitchen with the equipment you are used to!

Don't panic, its more difficult to get it wrong than right. Just be patient and remember to turn it, baste it and season it and you'll be fine

So how long per lb? will have to work out gas numbers because it is an electric oven with 'C

So how long per lb? will have to work out gas numbers because it is an electric oven with 'C
Theres the beauty, no time limit as such, just prod the meat with your finger like i've described and you'll be fine. at a minimum i would say 90 minutes is fine

Ok thankyou! I will let you know how I get on (if i'm still standing) lol.