Indian cookery course in Sheffield?

A question for all you gastronomes out there. I'm interested in refining my Indian cookery skills. Do any forummers know of anyone providing Indian cookery courses - say a full day or two - in Sheffield or surrounding districts?? Thanks in advance ...

Never heard of any in Sheffield. Some restaurants in Bradford have had courses running. You could search it.

A question for all you gastronomes out there. I'm interested in refining my Indian cookery skills. Do any forummers know of anyone providing Indian cookery courses - say a full day or two - in Sheffield or surrounding districts?? Thanks in advance ...

Gastronomes? As in plastic tub? Dunno about any courses but what I do know is that if you aint Indian you wont be able to cook as well as one.

I know it's a long time ago now but I was recently looking for an Indian Cookery Course too and found that this place in Bakewell do Indian Cookery Courses. I also found out that Tideswell School of Food also do Indian Cookery Courses with a lady called Pret who's family were originally from Uganda. I love the 'incredible spice men' and will be looking at attending a course soon so if anybody knows of anywhere else in the Sheffield area that does indian cookery courses please post the details.

Here is one at Aagrah, http://www.aagrah.com/2013/09/cookery-masterclasses-2013-2/

Also keep checking The Milestone as they also run them http://www.the-milestoneonline.com/indian-cooking/

The Milestone will be doing a Southern Indian cookery school taster at Sheffield Food Festival at the top of Fargate on Sunday at 1pm if you can make it http://www.sheffieldfoodfestival.org/kitchen_sunday.html :)

Thanks for the update on indian cookery courses. I'm loving the southern indian cookery theme. In fairness I did see the Aagrah indian cookery course but I think it is more of a demostration and meal than a full on hands on indian cookery course.

Indian food arent that hard to cook some classes and you are ready to rock.

I'd love to know how to make some really authentic onion bhaji's

Elliot m3, the following is a recipe I have been using for a few years now, it is worth the messing about with the optional ingredients. I can claim no credit for the recipe, in fact it is copyright of someone who goes by the name of Cory Ander. I realise I may have breached copyright by posting it here, but if you try it, and like it, I'll pass you on the details where I found this, and a very good Madras recipe....

I have divided the ingredients into those that I consider essential and those that I consider optional. I use all of them and I suggest that you do too, certainly on the first occasion. You can subsequently adjust the ingredients to your liking.

Makes about 10 Onion Bhajis (of about 8cm diameter)

Ingredients:

Essential:

Oil for deep-fat frying

340g onions (thinly sliced into about 4cm long strips)

120g gram flour ("besan")

1 egg

3 tbsp Greek (or plain) yoghurt

3 tbsp fresh (or bottled) lemon juice

2 tsp garam masala (any decent one will do)

1 tsp salt

About 50ml of water

Optional:

3 tsp sugar

1 tsp mint jelly

2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (rubbed between fingers)

1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves (chopped)

1 tsp curry power (any decent one will do)

1/2 tsp chilli powder

1/2 tsp tumeric powder

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp fennel seeds

1/2 tsp cumin seeds

A few drops of yellow food colouring

Method:

1. Dissolve the mint jelly (if using) in a little warm water

2. Put the onions and gram flour into a large non-metallic bowl (together with the fenugreek leaves, fresh coriander, fennel seeds and cumin seeds, if using)

3. Mix the egg, yoghurt, lemon juice, garam masala and salt (together with the sugar, dissolved mint jelly, curry powder, chilli powder, tumeric powder, garlic powder and food colouring, if using)

4. Add the mixture from Step 3 to the onions and gram flour in Step 2

5. Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to 1600C (or use a deep saucepan)

Note: Don't heat the oil to too high a temperature! If it is too hot, the bhajis will burn on the outside and remain uncooked in the middle. The oil should be just hot enough so that the bhajis initially sink, then rise to the surface after a few seconds, and then gently bubble away

7. Use two tablespoons (or similar) to mould the batter into a rough ball shape

Note: This will be very tricky if the batter is too thin!

8. Drop the bhajis, one by one, into the oil, and cook for about 5 minutes until the outside is golden

Note: Only cook three or four bhajis at a time. Otherwise, the oil will become too cool, for the bhajis to cook properly, and they will stick to each other.

Note: The bhajis will initially sink to the bottom of the pan. After a few seconds, gently lift each bhaji off the bottom of the pan with a slotted spoon, fish slice, or similar implement (but ensure that the batter is firm enough to move them first!). The bhajis will then rise to the surface and gently cook.

Note: Remove the bhajis before they are too dark; they will continue to cook and darken after they have been removed from the oil

9. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bhajis. Place them on kitchen paper to drain

Notes:

1. Unless stated otherwise, the following measures apply:

a) "tsp" = 1 level 5ml teaspoon

b) "tbsp" = 1 level 15ml tablespoon

2. If you cut the onions too short, the bhajis will have a much smoother (i.e. "pakora-like") appearance

3. Best eaten, whilst warm, but enjoyable cold too

Enjoy!

Gary

Thank you very much Gary, I have noted the recipe down and will be trying it out at the weekend. I cant wait now :)

Cheers!!!