James Neill Tools Summerfield Street

The steve was steve Chaytors I left james neill in1980 and moved around quite a bit. eventually ended up at Mastercraft tools (Spiralux) and the company was bought by Neills. Still around have been holiday rep for last 5years currently working in Tenerife.Lots of names I remember with lots of memories

Hi Steve. Now I remember your surname. Its been a long time eh!. Dont know if you remember me. Im Jeanette Jessop. Sounds like you are enjoying your life. I started work at James Neills in 1974 and left in 1978 when I was expecting my first baby.

My Grandad worked there a loooooooooooonnnggg time ago. He died in 1994 so shows how long ago it was. No idea what part of James Neill tools, or where abouts it was - just know he did a long service there and he had lots of "thank you for your service" type things - tankards and watches etc.

My nan still recieves a hamper at Xmas from James Neill tools, and they still send it despite her being in a home.

His name was Arthur Jessop, should anyone have worked there such a looooong time ago

Chayts

I can't send you a PM as you have not posted often enough.

You and I had many a bevvy together. Pitchfork phoned me out of the blue a couple of years ago and asked after your whereabouts. Rumour has it that Tothy is in Australia with his fellow convicts!

Yerman

Hi, this is Irene, over in Mallorca Found your posts by coincidence. Just been back to Sheffield for my sister in law's funeral (she posted under Scout as she was a Scout Leader), and was searching for some scout info, and came across your messages. I obviously know you, but not from your user name.

So sad to hear about Clive a while back. I always used to send him a birthday card every August, and a Xmas card to him and Sue, and when I came over I always used to meet up with him, George Hibberd and Christine Unwin for lunch one day.

Hope to hear back from you soon.

Irene x

Irene

I have sent you a PM.

Y

I remember George Hibberd very well. I worked at Handsworth and had many dealings with George (I was a shop steward). I always found him to be a really nice bloke. I remember Christine Unwin too.

I worked at Neills from '67 to '75 as a technical apprentice (remember apprenticeships?) through to production Engineering.

Names from the memory in no particular order :-

Jed Bamforth, last seen with a huge beard, Ken Apthorpe (deceased I think) both from the Training Bay. Fellow trainees Carl Cato, David Hey, Phil Waddington, Ian Rowbotham.Liverpudlians from Whiteley Land and Neill Steve Downes and Les Morris,

Production Engineers, well some of them - Jeff Barden, Malcolm Haden, Terry Lockwood, Mick Sanderson, Alan Allcott, Dave Clowes, John Birchenough, Bill Martin (the rambler) Ian Wainright, Ian Hopwood, Grant Hayward, Bob Wainright, Pete Jakeman, Dave Brooks, Rod Managers Peter Vickers (deceased) Dave Pownell, John Brooks ................. oh there's bloomin' hundreds of names once you get going.

George Hibberd retired from the company about 5 years ago. Christine Unwin left when it moved from Handsworth to Atlas North about 9 years ago.

I worked in the design studio at james Neill putting together leaflets, packaging etc. Any body remember Albert Keats who was exhibitions manager. I am told that for years he drove around in a Triumph Herald with a Guiness label in the tax disc holder. He virtually lived in the Nursery Tavern up the road. He once had his hair cut in office hours and my boss Tony Evans challenged him "Albert you've had your hair cut in works time", .... his reply "Well it grows in works time" nuff sed. We made him a gold watch out of an old wall clock cos he got the push just before he done 25 years service. The chairman couldn't attend so we made a life size cardboard cutout from a blow up photo... happy days!

I worked at James Neill from 1971-1982 in Computer Operations. Although I don't know anyone mentioned here, some of the names sound familiar. I think I met and did a little work for Joan Cross at the Handsworth warehouse once or twice.

I have a thread on the same theme with some pictures over at sheffieldhistory.co.uk if anyones interested. Being a newbie it won't allow me to post a link but just look for the "James Neil - Summerfield St" post in the main thread of SHEFFIELD PLACES - THEIR HISTORY - same handle.

I worked at James Neill from 1980 - 1985 when I moved to Moore & Wrights Microsystems. I was a young 16 year old started in the data processing department as a programmer before moving onto join the PC developers at micro systems. I worked with Steve Roe and my boss was Bill Fletcher

If anyone knew my father, Fred Sissons, the joiner who worked there for years, he peacefully passed away today. I know he spent many happy years at J.N. and knew alot of people there.