Indian groceries shop in Sheffield

Tesco are the Evil Empire. They're now concentrating their efforts on ethnic shops and have Indo-Pakistani and Polish sections.

Don't let them take over everything and support your local shops. I always used Shah's on Abbeydale Road for my Indian cookery supplies. They have an amazing range and are cheap too. They've been there forever, well at least back to the 70's

One of my favourite Sheffield shops :thumbsup:

I know but they sell everything I want to buy under one roof so what can I do? I'm particular about brands too: only Kohinoor basmati will do (if Tesco hadn't started supplying it I would still be getting it from parents) and chappati flour is freshly milled stuff that comes from a small shop in Kingsbury.

Does Shah's also have a halal meat section? The reason I ask is because I avoid such shops as the smell makes me puke. If they don't, I might actually start going.

No, Shah's is just groceries, no butchers section.

I wouldnt really suggest Shah's considering expired products for sale and a really unhealthy place to buy stuff. I suggest Cash and Carry along Abbey Dale road (almost opposite Spar).. Another place is Yasmin around Eclessal Road.. Which I would say is the best place to buy indian masalas.

Rehman`s just past the traffic lights at abbeydale rd and sheldon rd, opposite the Broadfield pub, spotless and stocks all breads, rice, flour, spices, fresh veg and excellent halal meat section.

Walk down past the markets, along the Wicker, under the Wicker arches and up the hill. LOADS of shops which should sell everything you need.

Bradford's only an hour away.

And Leeds is even closer!

Maumoniats in Brudenell Grove are very good and their vegetarian samosas are fantastic! :cool:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.811442,-1.567657&spn=0,359.99929&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=53.811442,-1.567657&panoid=sSv0o0azr6ZE0Z1wgwJBgg&cbp=12,259.03,,0,-0.78

John X

Edited by John X

I know but they sell everything I want to buy under one roof so what can I do? I'm particular about brands too: only Kohinoor basmati will do (if Tesco hadn't started supplying it I would still be getting it from parents) and chappati flour is freshly milled stuff that comes from a small shop in Kingsbury.

Does Shah's also have a halal meat section? The reason I ask is because I avoid such shops as the smell makes me puke. If they don't, I might actually start going.

So is it just specifically halal meat which makes you puke?

And Leeds is even closer!

John X

Ah! But Leicester is even better! :)

Ah! But Leicester is even better! :)

Not 70 miles and one and a half hours on the motorway better! :D

John X

try Alyan sweet centre on Abbeydale Rd for your mitahi, snacks, savouries, chaar etc pani puri too

get yourself up here to sharrow/london rd - munir's on southview rd is legendary and if you're lucky, you'll be served by yasmin who is either the friendliest or the most hostile shopkeeper in the world depending on what mood she's in - there are also loads of halal butchers selling good fresh meat and chicken without resort to polystyrene or clingfilm usually on the day of slaughter.