Sign in to follow this  

The Tour De France

If you are a cycling fan you probably be aware that Lance Armstrong who rides for U.S Postal has won the Jersey for the last 4 years on th trot.

My question is Do you think he will win his consectative 5 this July.

If he does then he will be up there with the only other cyclists to win 5 tours, Anquitill, Merkx, Hinoult, and Indurain.

Give me your views on this and i ask why can,t Armstrong be beaten by the rest of the worlds top cyclists, do you think the others are frightened of him, or just not good enough.

I know cycling has been dominated by drug abuse and so have all other sports and dont want to get into a discussion on total drug issues in sport.

Lance Armstrong came back from testicle cancer and was given 20% chance of survival in 1996/97 and came back to win his 4 tours.

Do you think this made him stronger than he was before cancer.

Whatever your views Armstrong in my books will go on to win the Tour this year and maybe even a 6th next year.

If he can be beaten, who can beat him.

No one to touch him at present and I think he will win also.

I am not a serious cyclist but always like to watch Le Tour, those guys are something else, drugs or no drugs to ride for nearly a month 8 hours a day all the way around Europe and up some huge mountains, you have to be superfit.

The best years for me were in the late 80's, can not comment before then as I did not get into to it until then.

Greg Lemond

Laurent Fignon

Sean Kelly

Stephen Roach

This lot used to have some good tussles and we had a bit of interest with the Irish boys. The 90's were boring as they were dominated by Miguel Indurain, and the last few years are the same as Armstrong does the same.

Its like any sport who was the best????

Ali or Tyson

Tiger Woods or Jack Nicklaus

George Best or David Beckham

In cycling I think Greg Lemond would have given Lance Armstrong a good race.

Without a doubt Lamond would have been a good rival to Armstrong but i think if Lamond was around today he would be riding for Postal.

Armstrong like Indurain before him has been critisised for killing the tour, making it boring but that is down to the rest of the peleton to beat him and make the tour The tour De France instead of The Tour De Lance.

You cant blame armstrong for that, although Ullrich is a force to be reconded with personally he ,s just not got the power to beat Armstrong.

My view is that the rest of the bunch fear him and won,t commit to taking him on at his own game and though i,m a big fan of ullrich and Armstrong i think that the rest of the peleton whatever team there in should mark Armstrong and gang up on him to see if they can break him. If that fails then lance simply is indistructable.

Lance Armstrong whatever the french say about him is an unsung hero of sport coming back from facing Death with testicle cancer and telling the rest of them that the yellow Jersey is there for the taking and if you want it try and get it.

I love watching the tour. Will it be on channel four this year or not?

Your right, those guys are super fit.

I went one year in the late 90's to watch the al' dheuz stage (excuse the spelling) and I couldn't get over, not only how quickly they romped up this hill but also the heat rising off the road. All this coming at the end of a day cycling 200 miles.

I think they put any other sports to shame!!

Long live Armstrong. (not Neil or Louis)

Not on Channel 4 no more as they got rid to put on cricket instead.

Said they want to attract younger viewers, what a joke can,t see cricket doing that somehow.

It will be on ITV 1 late\at night or live on ITV 2. for 3 weeks.

Originally posted by "The Cycleracer"

Not on Channel 4 no more as they got rid to put on cricket instead.

Said they want to attract younger viewers, what a joke can,t see cricket doing that somehow.

It will be on ITV 1 late\at night or live on ITV 2. for 3 weeks.

That's a shame because channel 4 used to show their coverage around 6-7pm which I liked. What about Eurosport have they not bothered with it as well? They generally have lots of live coverage on, but again I not seen any.

Eurosport will show live coverage also, but i did'nt mention it as not everyone has it.