Car parked on my drive!

I'm speaking purely about the legal aspect. I've been led to believe it's illegal to obstruct access to the road from a car already on the drive, but that it is perfectly legal (albeit completely out of order) to block an empty drive.

Personally I would be fuming, but was trying to be constructive.

In normal circumstances yes, I'm sure even a copper would say just block him in and ring dvla though, how could the driver press charges when he is trespassing lol?

I very much doubt you could legally do this, and i'm pretty sure the DVLA would just tell you to sod off.

when i contacted the 101 service after a few minutes they contacted the local dvla depot and they then sent someone out to remove the car that was parked in my driveway/yard as it was stopping me parking in my own drive and also blocking me from gaining access to m house or garage

i still have the details from the incident so don't just presume your right :rant:

Block it in and stick a note on it saying the police have been notified about this abandoned car.

OK, just go ahead, take it further, smash their face in. I don't really care.

The OP has now at least been warned of possible ramifications. Now the OP can do what he or she wishes, and make an informed choice.

From the posts of some people, if someone said "I'm going to mecca to wave my willy in the air in the midle of the pilgrimages" and I said "you know, that might not be such a good idea", I'd be a killjoy for suggesting that some people, and laws, might actually discourage it, and it would be me, personally, preventing said willy-waving.

when i contacted the 101 service after a few minutes they contacted the local dvla depot and they then sent someone out to remove the car that was parked in my driveway/yard as it was stopping me parking in my own drive and also blocking me from gaining access to m house or garage

i still have the details from the incident so don't just presume your right :rant:

They wouldn't remove a car with out a reason, its not illegal to be parked on your drive so there must have been another reason, was it taxed? Thats the only reason the DVLA would be interested.

I'm speaking purely about the legal aspect. I've been led to believe it's illegal to obstruct access to the road from a car already on the drive, but that it is perfectly legal (albeit completely out of order) to block an empty drive.

Personally I would be fuming, but was trying to be constructive.

You silly sausage, you are letting facts get in the way!

It happened to me once. I got up one morning to go to work - there was a car in front of my garage doors, parked in my drive. I was unable to get my car out, so I called the police. They were very good, and couldn't believe the audacity of the owner of the dumped car. Within a few minutes, they had traced him and he came to move it. I was late for work and not a happy bunny! The sun-roof of the car had been left open, and I was very tempted indeed to put in the contents of my cats litter tray, the rubbish out of the bin, and a few shovelfuls of soil, and then turn on the hose-pipe - but my OH stopped me. :hihi:

OK, just go ahead, take it further, smash their face in. I don't really care.

The OP has now at least been warned of possible ramifications. Now the OP can do what he or she wishes, and make an informed choice.

From the posts of some people, if someone said "I'm going to mecca to wave my willy in the air in the midle of the pilgrimages" and I said "you know, that might not be such a good idea", I'd be a killjoy for suggesting that some people, and laws, might actually discourage it, and it would be me, personally, preventing said willy-waving.

What if someone waved there willy about on your drive though.:hihi:

In normal circumstances yes, I'm sure even a copper would say just block him in and ring dvla though, how could the driver press charges when he is trespassing lol?

I agree with that, I just wasn't sure which law would take precedence in this sort of situation.

I would certainly make sure the driver didn't do it repeatedly. I think I would still just leave a note and if they did it a second time I'd let the air out the tyres or something equally annoying.

You're confusing right of access onto the highway with right of access onto your drive.

If the exit to your drive is being blocked, then your legal right of access onto the highway is being impeded and the police should indeed attend. However you do not have the same legal right of access FROM the highway onto your drive.

I'm not, I was stating that the police will normally attend anyway. I know that there is no actual right to get onto your driveway, but the police are normally quite helpful.

The question (which is why in my earlier post I said "I wonder") is whether the trespasser has the same legal right of access to the highway

I suspect not (although I haven't gone and read the statute to check).

Your gates are irrelevant as you are able to open them, so your access to (or indeed from) the highway is not being impeded.

Indeed. But what if I were to close them when some randomer was on my drive.

I suspect (as I already said) that only I have a right of access to the road from my driveway, not any old person who feels like it.

[QUOTE=Bonjon;8943282]They wouldn't remove a car with out a reason, its not illegal to be parked on your drive so there must have been another reason, was it taxed? Thats the only reason the DVLA would be interested.

they contacted the dvl a to make sure it was not stolen or anything then they got back to the police and stated the car was not reported as stolen and was fully taxed and then the police sent out a recovery truck (tow truck) to remove the vehicle from my driveway

as it is illegal to park on someones driveway and is also illegal to block access to that driveway and also illegal to block access to the homeowners house or garage or outbuildings