Pink sausage..heeelp!!

So here it is..

I have just been to the sandwich shop and bought a sausage and egg breadcake for me and my son, i took a couple of bites before realising that the sausage was pink on the inside, it did taste a little funny so i gave it to the dog :gag:

My son also said his cob tasted funny too and has half eaten his :gag:

Do some sausages stay pink even after cooking?

The lady at the shop said they were well done but i am panicking now as am always funny with meat n stuff like that.

I don't want to be sat on the bog all weekend :(

So, could i still get sick even if i only ate a couple of mouthfuls or d'ya think it'll be okay?

Am i going to die :help:

Don't worry, when I was a child I used to love eating raw sausage meat. Never done me any harm.

I am proper freaking out..

really hate being sick and don't think i have enough emergency bog squares to sustain an attack of the trots :gag::(

Sandwich shop sausages tend to have so little pork in them that you'll probably be fine.

jb

Sandwich shop sausages tend to have so little pork in them that you'll probably be fine.

jb

I aint ever going to eat cheap sandwich shop meat again.

How much of a product do you need to eat if its undercooked or off before you get ill :(

How much of a product do you need to eat if its undercooked or off before you get ill :(

If it's full of nasties then only a very tiny bit as they will multiply in the body. Pork nowadays is generally not as bad as it used to be as the pigs are reared in more hygienic conditions (at least they should be). You can even eat it rare if your particularly confident of its source.

jb

ETA: Just in case you feel like scaring yourself http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis#Parenteral_phase he he he

Edited by barleycorn

Undercooked meat does not cause you to get ill.

Bacteria cause you to get ill; meat that is properly kept won't have any in it to speak of, whether it gets cooked or not. I've been eating undercooked sausages for decades without getting ill, so I can safely say that the answer to your question is "at least several hundredweight."

jb

Very true, the minimum level of meat required for a sausage is 18%, which are the cheapest of the cheap sausages. I go for the maximum of 90% plus.

Undercooked meat does not cause you to get ill.

Bacteria cause you to get ill; meat that is properly kept won't have any in it to speak of, whether it gets cooked or not. I've been eating undercooked sausages for decades without getting ill, so I can safely say that the answer to your question is "at least several hundredweight."

It was from the sandwich shop on west street in Beighton, they are usually full of people so i thought i would be safe as its so busy, i asked for them to be well done (well burnt) and she stated they were so why was it pink in the inside :(

Some of the really cheap & nasty sausages are coloured pink to try to make them look like there's some fresh meat in them when they're uncooked. It probably was cooked & just food colouring. Unless it was a tomato sausage?

Either way, don't go back there. We shouldn't encourage these places. When sausages cost less than pet food you have to worry.

Some of the really cheap & nasty sausages are coloured pink to try to make them look like there's some fresh meat in them when they're uncooked. It probably was cooked & just food colouring. Unless it was a tomato sausage?

Either way, don't go back there. We shouldn't encourage these places. When sausages cost less than pet food you have to worry.

Best reply - and exactly what I was going to say.

I never order sausages from anywhere unless I know it's somewhere that cares about good food. Some of the cheap sausages around are really scary. Burgers & pies can be bad too. Usually you're OK with bacon & egg or chips, it's hard for them to mess that up.