The best way to roast lamb shoulder (where's a cooking group when you need one)

Alot of foods are good cooked this way but its not the most practical way of doing things!

It's simple enough.

Roasting tin, place a large sheet of foil in it, put a bit of hay down, put leg of lamb in (previously put garlic and rosemary in slits cut under the skin), then more hay on top.

Pour a glass of red wine over it before sealing the foil around it and baking for a couple of hours in a hot oven.

It's simple enough.

Roasting tin, place a large sheet of foil in it, put a bit of hay down, put leg of lamb in (previously put garlic and rosemary in slits cut under the skin), then more hay on top.

Pour a glass of red wine over it before sealing the foil around it and baking for a couple of hours in a hot oven.

Knowing my luck i'd set fire to the hay :hihi:

Knowing my luck i'd set fire to the hay :hihi:

Yes, that's the main hazard, but you seal the foil around it so that can't happen. The hay cooks down to nothing and you remove it before serving. It gives the lamb a delicious grassy flavour.

Is there a particular hay you should buy for this?

One chart to convert gas temps to electric.

Gas Mark Fahrenheit Celsius Description

1/4 225 110 Very cool/very slow

1/2 250 130 ---

1 275 140 cool

2 300 150

3 325 170 very moderate

4 350 180 moderate

5 375 190 ---

6 400 200 moderately hot

7 425 220 hot

8 450 230 ---

9 475 240 very hot

This chart should be accurate enough for all your cooking needs, though keep in mind the temperatures will vary between different types, brands, sizes of ovens, in addition to your locations altitude, temperature, humidity, etc.

I find that scoring the fat on shoulder of lamb help reduce the cooking time.

Score all the visible fat, top and bottom. no need to baste as it is a very fatty meat, it will baste its self. Cook in middle of oven for about an hour and a half at 200C. Don't add any extra cooking fat. Serve with lashings of mint sauce.

Is there a particular hay you should buy for this?

You can get little bags of hay for rabbits in supermarkets, well Sainsburys at least. Something green and fresh looking

Mod note: Can you please get your arses in gear and create the cooking, food and drink group.

How long has it been now?

Mod note: Can you please get your arses in gear and create the cooking, food and drink group.

How long has it been now?

They are getting there, just had a couple of things to sort out first. Be patient, the best things come to those who wait! :)

You can get little bags of hay for rabbits in supermarkets, well Sainsburys at least. Something green and fresh looking

Oh i've got plenty of that hay. My rex wouldn't be pleased though :hihi:

They are getting there, just had a couple of things to sort out first. Be patient, the best things come to those who wait! :)

Patience isn't really my strong point :)