Bents green school memories

I'm currently a teacher at Bents Green and was wondering if anyone could give me their memories of the school from the past so that the kids can contrast their experiences with others. Ta:)

Has the newly built school opened today?

I went to bents green school from 1967 to 1978 it was the best time for the school. The sun always seemed to shine the teachers were kind. I remember on a thursday afternoons going for a walk up the road to the round house touching it and walking back to school. Then the summer camp bridlington that was fun. And their are many more. The kids never left with any fancy exams but they left with much more than that they left with hope.

My brother used to go, he was a boarder i think it was about 83 when he left. He used to go back & see staff, so they set him on in the kitchens (he always loved cooking), they sent him to college on day release. He loved it at Bents Green.

Does anyone remember Mark Jarman who went to bents green special school in the 60,s and 70,s.

Who remembers the dentist on Leopold street Sheffield in the 1970,s. I will never forget sitting in the waiting room with about 8 other kids. When he came out Mr Copestake dressed from head to toe in green. then one by one the kids were took in and sat in the dentists chair then all you could hear was the screams

Edited by starchaser

I'm currently a teacher at Bents Green and was wondering if anyone could give me their memories of the school from the past so that the kids can contrast their experiences with others. Ta:)

i went to Bents Green school or Bents Green Open Air School as knew it. I went around 1947/48. I seem to remember teacher called Miss Inch. We had to have a sleep in the afternoon, we slept on strechers which was stacked in the flat roof class rooms. Some where in early summer, we had an open day where parents came and we put on a display, while I was there I took part in a Maypole dance. alfred rd

My Son is currently at Bents Green and is a wonderfull school, all kids have some kinda Autism not sure if thats always been the case.

My Son is currently at Bents Green and is a wonderfull school, all kids have some kinda Autism not sure if thats always been the case.

No, it wasn't the case, back in the 70s when my sister went there. (Although, funnily enough, my sister's diagnosis was Autism!) There were a range of disabilities, from physical disabilities (of varying kinds from spina bifida to cerebral palsy) there were kids with epilepsy, and many with all kinds of learning disability.

Bents Green was a wonderful school, and Mr Bailey, the headmaster, at the time my sister was there, was a wonderful chap.

My sister came on in leaps and bounds, with her learning disabilities, thanks to BGS.

Who remembers the dentist on Leopold street Sheffield in the 1970,s. I will never forget sitting in the waiting room with about 8 other kids. When he came out Mr Copestake dressed from head to toe in green. then one by one the kids were took in and sat in the dentists chair then all you could hear was the screams

Copestake had a reputation for being a real so-and-so. I remember my mother going ballistic about him doing some work (extractions) on my sister's teeth, without my mother's authorisation.

We had our own, family dentist who took care of our teeth, and Copestake had no business doing anything to my sister's teeth, not even an examination, never mind the extractions, (!!)

There are a lot of threads on here about BGS but I always like to hear about the place. I attended from 1966 - 1974 and Mr Bailey was wonderful. I bought a pub in the Peak district in the late 80s and it was'nt until five years later I heard that Mr Bailey had died, but the sad thing was he only lived about ten minutes from my pub and I did'nt know. His wife and daughter Fiona are still there (quite eccentric!). I am still in touch with Mrs Seddon who has not been in the best of health recently.

one of my charges went to bents green , he was autistic, he did very well and enjoyed school life there , he didn't like the saturday club !!! because he wanted to go to Crich to ride on the trams !

There are a lot of threads on here about BGS but I always like to hear about the place. I attended from 1966 - 1974 and Mr Bailey was wonderful. I bought a pub in the Peak district in the late 80s and it was'nt until five years later I heard that Mr Bailey had died, but the sad thing was he only lived about ten minutes from my pub and I did'nt know. His wife and daughter Fiona are still there (quite eccentric!). I am still in touch with Mrs Seddon who has not been in the best of health recently.

He wasn't my headmaster, but I knew him, being associated with BGS, through my sister's attendance there. He was, certainly, the loveliest chap you could meet, and he has my eternal admiration and respect for how he, and his "regime" helped "our-kid" come on so tremendously well there.

I was so very proud of our-kid, as in the last year of school, she got presented with a "progress prize" for her achievements.

She knew nothing about the prize beforehand:- she thought Mum and I had simply come to hear her singing in the school choir. The look of amazement on her face when her name was announced as the winner was priceless. *sniffles proudly at the memory*