Snake or Woodhead Pass : Which Sheffield to Manchester route?

Does anyone know where we can check if the A57 is open or not? I cant see any news on BBC's traffic pages or trafficengland.com

I need to go to the airport on saturday, so Im hoping it will be open by then too, but from these earlier posts, its not looking likely. I might go the M62 way to be on the safe side, but it seems quite a trek!

That would be a treck too far. Try the alternative route of A621 Abbeydale Road towards Bakewell till you pick up the A6 to Manchester. You will pick up signs for Airport from Stockport, and only works out about 5 miles longer.

OR:

Can you not go Woodhead way? Maybe go through Castleton - Winats- Whalley Bridge - Potts Shrigley way?

Or, check out my leads.

If Radio 5 said 'closed for the rest of the week' - I'd believe that on the footage I've seen.

If you're going to the airport you can go via Castleton and over Winnats.

The Airport taxis often go this way as they reckon its the shortest route.

If you're going to the airport you can go via Castleton and over Winnats.

The Airport taxis often go this way as they reckon its the shortest route.

yeah it is the shortest but its even more windy than the snake, i certainly wouldn't use it at night or in the winter.

yeah it is the shortest but its even more windy than the snake, i certainly wouldn't use it at night or in the winter.

True, its perhaps not the best way if you don't know where you're going.

As the OP couldn't find Woodhead Pass he'd have no hope. ;):P

So now the Snake is closed, as is the road to Oughtibridge/Stocksbridge and the A61 is still half-blocked after 6 months with long delays.

The airport is closing, what's next? Sheffield is gradually getting cut off!

This must be Britain's most ridiculous bottle neck and nothing, ever, ever gets done about it.

Here, we have a major route which meets two narrow side roads. Traffic lights seem to favour the side roads and the result is a slow crawl either uphill or along a road between two petrol stations and a not very pleasant housing estate.

And yet, either side of this bit of ribbon development, is nothing but fields, land aplenty to build a by-pass. This debacle has gone on for years and years.

Getting rid of the lights would be a start; building a by-pass is a must. Ask Gordon Brown for some lolly. Apparently he's just given the Indians £725,000,000 of our hard earned cash.

I have been following this project for many years. Unfortunately after a survey a couple of years ago it was found that 70% of the traffic congestion was caused by mainly local women who were making unneccesary journeys of less than a mile in their cars.

It would hardly be a fitting use of several million pounds of government money to allow the laziest part of the UK to become even lazier would it ?

That winnats pass route looks interesting actually - looks like you just stay on the a6178 until it falls onto the A6. Sounds easy enough. Is it or are there any turnings that I might miss?!

Would you recommend that over Woodhead or motorway?

just got back from dropping someone off at manchester airport. went the winnats pass way had no problems at all. go straight up winnats pass follow sings for stockport then signs for manchester airport it took 1hour 15 minutes each way.

I go over winnats to wilmslow every day at about 7am in the morning. One of the roads at the top of winnats is closed (right hand way), but it doesn't make any real difference to the time spent travelling.

Takes me about an hour to get to Wilmslow from where I live in Brincliffe.

Airport is about another 6 miles away and can be done in about 10 minutes.

We live S11 and my husband does Castleton/Winnats at least twice a week, easiest route, less traffic. Just beware of the sheep especially early morning when it's still dark as they are inclined to wander into the road but, most of them are still asleep under the hedge bottoms!

Doh, Missed the Look North footage!

Anyone got any photos of how bad it is? A colleague went over it just before it was closed, and said there was a really big drop in the road surface presumable where the problem is.

Sheffield Star says the road will be closed "until at least next week"

http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/TRAFFIC-ALERT-Landslide-closes-A57.3711756.jp

Simon