Bright light in Sky, towards the south east

Hi there all, hope you had a lovely day, I was up at 3am, and noticed a bright light in the sky towards the south east, and wondered if any of you could throw some light on this! I wondered if it was either Jupiter or a comet.

More than likely to be Sirius,the brightest star in the sky.(Presuming it was stationary)

Edited by diggerdigger
yes

My wife saw a huge shooting star this morning about 7am from Storrs looking towards HIgh Bradfield !

Hi there all, hope you had a lovely day, I was up at 3am, and noticed a bright light in the sky towards the south east, and wondered if any of you could throw some light on this! I wondered if it was either Jupiter or a comet.

Did you see three blokes on camels as well?

thank you, maybe Sirius, it was stationary, no I didnt see the camels or the kings, heard the shepherds and their sheep though!

Actually I started a thread a few months ago about a bright "star". Most people reckoned it was Jupiter IIRC.

I've just bumped the earlier thread (I was unable to link it to here, I dont know why). It is on the General Discussion Forum.

btw, as I didn't originally say where it was, it was also in the south east.

Google a program called Stellarium and download on to you pc. It is brilliant and will probably answer your question.

At the moment Jupiter is visible in the area you have pointed out, as it has been for some time. You can also see its orbiting moons, even with binoculars.

At 3.00am I should think you saw Sirius in that area of the sky.

Edited by Gwyther

I was up at 5am and saw a very bright light to the Northeast; it was far to the left of the Moon and on watching it, I noticed that it didnt move, so it cant have been the International Space Station.

I assumed that it was Venus, which is often in the same part of the sky to the Moon, but maybe it was Jupiter.

are you all sure that it wasnt Santa lol x

I was up at 5am and saw a very bright light to the Northeast; it was far to the left of the Moon and on watching it, I noticed that it didnt move, so it cant have been the International Space Station.

I assumed that it was Venus, which is often in the same part of the sky to the Moon, but maybe it was Jupiter.

Jupiter is currently quite bright in the night sky, and Venus won't be for a month or two*. Offhand I can't work out where it would be at 5am, but I would guess that is what it was.

(*and even when it is, it's only visible shortly before dawn or shortly after dusk. Venus never remains in the sky all night long.)

Early Sunrise due to Global Warming?. (Well it gets blaimed for every thing else).

Regards

Angel.