Where can I buy lamb brains?

Does anyone have any links to abattoirs or ethnic butchers that sell lamb's brains? I've never seen them for sale anywhere and I'm relatively familiar with some of the butcher's along Abbeydale Rd.

I'm wanted to cook up a curry typre recipe and I've heard they're a delicacy. I can imagine they may be similar in texture to lamb sweetbreads.

Thanks

I think you will find they are banned from sale due to the problems from BSE and scrapie.

I imagine that the sale of brains from Sheep (+ cows and goats) has been banned under the Specific Risk Materials Regs in relation to risk of transmission for spongiform encephalopathies (mad cow, CJD, Scrape etc).

Horses, pigs, deer etc are not classed as risk materials.

I don't think lamb's brains are proscribed offal? Anyway, Lahori Dehra on the Wicker promises maghaz curries, which would be either lamb or goat brain, so you could ask there?

I think you will find they are banned from sale due to the problems from BSE and scrapie.

You sure? I know of at least one Indian in Bradford that sells sheep brain curry (Magaz massala)

jb

From DEFRA

"Scrapie has been in the UK sheep flock for over 250 years and has been reported in many other countries. In recent years many countries have detected a new (atypical) form of scrapie as a result of increased TSE surveillance. Scrapie occurs at a low prevalence in the UK and is not known to pose a risk to human health."

Brains from Cows and Sheep (Calves and lambs) are legal for sale in the UK.

The animal must have been under 12 months old, anything older is illegal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/brain

Thanks for the replies. I've heard they may be banned but I wasn't sure as I've seen them infrequently on some menu's. I noted that Akbar's actually sell Lahore Magaz but I've not had chance to make it out there as yet. I think Chaman on the Wicker also used to have it on their menu.

May take a trip to Tesco at Spital Hill tomorrow.

Anyone actually eaten brains in a curry? Apparently they're quite creamy.

Thanks for the replies. I've heard they may be banned but I wasn't sure as I've seen them infrequently on some menu's. I noted that Akbar's actually sell Lahore Magaz but I've not had chance to make it out there as yet. I think Chaman on the Wicker also used to have it on their menu.

May take a trip to Tesco at Spital Hill tomorrow.

Anyone actually eaten brains in a curry? Apparently they're quite creamy.

Chaman = Lahori Dehra. And no, never had the guts(!) to order the brains. Mind you, I did order the lambs trotters once and they refused to serve them - you wouldn't like them, sir...