Can you claim dla if you have depression?

hi all. i've had depression on and off now for 20+ years. iam on esa at the meoment and just wonded if i could claim the low rate dla?.:help:

thanks

yes you can.just make sure your doctor supplies all relevent info.i was on the middle rate previously but got knocked down to lower,as my condition is ongoing..good luck.

So after 20 years you realise its affecting you and this just happens to be when you're unemployed? How strange.

I take back what I said anyway, I recently discovered people claim DLA for being fat.

mental health that is ongoing and affects your quality of life.. in the long term.im not really fat for your info.. just a person with a mental health problem.funny how the 2 are stigmatised.

mental health that is ongoing and affects your quality of life.. in the long term.im not really fat for your info.. just a person with a mental health problem.funny how the 2 are stigmatised.

I don't know how on earth you took my post to read that people with mental health problems are fat.

I was referring to people being able to claim for obesity.

don't get me started on the recent tabloid slurs on obesity.... or alcholism etc.

as the poster said, on and off... perhaps with DLA they would be enabled to lift themselves out of depression.

DLA is an enabling benefit. Regardless of the source of the disablement the aim is to enable.

don't get me started on the recent tabloid slurs on obesity.... or alcholism etc.

as the poster said, on and off... perhaps with DLA they would be enabled to lift themselves out of depression.

DLA is an enabling benefit. Regardless of the source of the disablement the aim is to enable.

I don't agree with this, I think being out of work is going to be a major factor in a persons continued depression.

I don't think enabling people to stay out of work longer would do anything other than increase their problems.

Why would DLA lift them out of depression?

DLA is not an out of work benefit. It can enable someone to access work (for example by paying for taxis etc)

Also I agree with you re work, however, there are MANY other things that one can do with your time apart from being in work. I am in education and this gives me a focus and a reason to keep going.

Please don't confuse DLA with being an out of work benefit, or that work is the only solutiion to combating disability.

DLA can pay for all sorts of things..

DLA is not an out of work benefit. It can enable someone to access work (for example by paying for taxis etc)

Also I agree with you re work, however, there are MANY other things that one can do with your time apart from being in work. I am in education and this gives me a focus and a reason to keep going.

Please don't confuse DLA with being an out of work benefit, or that work is the only solutiion to combating disability.

DLA can pay for all sorts of things..

I think you're confusing my comments on the OP with general assumption.

The OP IS out of work, that's what I am commenting on.