Whitby Road School Darnall Sheffield

yes, I went to Whitby Road from 1947-1952 & '56-58,in the infants I remember Miss Bee, Mrs Grafton and the head Miss Gebbard what a tyrant! in the juniors @ the annex I remember Miss Nicholson who became Mrs Longden,and again in the seniors,Miss Bailey and Miss Sarson who was wonderful,Miss Clarke was the head.The boys were upstairs and the head was Mr Saxton. Does anyone recall the shower block with carbolic soap!!!

I remember Miss Bee and Miss Gebbard also Mrs. Mustell I think. Miss Nicholson used to take music and I actually sang with the choir at her wedding at Firth Park Methodist Church!

yes, I went to Whitby Road from 1947-1952 & '56-58,in the infants I remember Miss Bee, Mrs Grafton and the head Miss Gebbard what a tyrant! in the juniors @ the annex I remember Miss Nicholson who became Mrs Longden,and again in the seniors,Miss Bailey and Miss Sarson who was wonderful,Miss Clarke was the head.The boys were upstairs and the head was Mr Saxton. Does anyone recall the shower block with carbolic soap!!!

I too remember Miss Bee, Mrs. Grafton and Miss Gebbard. in the infants. Miss Nicholson taught us music in the Juniors and I actually sang at her wedding at Firth Park Methodist Church, she had a choir of us juniors how cool was that!

I too remember Miss Bee, Mrs. Grafton and Miss Gebbard. in the infants. Miss Nicholson taught us music in the Juniors and I actually sang at her wedding at Firth Park Methodist Church, she had a choir of us juniors how cool was that!

Yes I remember that wedding well, me and Mum were late getting there and we were in the porch as the bride was waiting to go down tha aisle,we got one of her famous glares that I got rather used to over the years!

I went to Whitby Road infants and the juniors annexe between 1950 - 1956. I well remember Miss Gebbard in the infants and the head at the juniors Mr Saxon and teachers Messrs Edwards Pringle Cox and Bellamy. Still got the school reports from then. Lived on Tockwith Road in those days when it was all terraces and back to backs and walked to and from school every day.

Yes I remember that wedding well, me and Mum were late getting there and we were in the porch as the bride was waiting to go down tha aisle,we got one of her famous glares that I got rather used to over the years!

Hiya, just found my old autograph book and Miss Nicholson, Miss Shepherd and Miss Pattinson (who I think was the head of juniors) all signed it!

Oh my gosh what a fantastic forum I went to greenlands school started in 1975 the head was Mr taylor and it then went on to be Mr Slee used to stand like a teapot with hands on hips.

I remember Mr Ellis always wondered why his carpet was dark green??

Remember the flying board rubber came whizzing past me in the direction of richard ward picked his nose wiped it on carpet I believe Ellis not impressed it left a nice chalky imprint when it hit the wall????????????? Does anyone remember Mrs Snell and her magic cream when you fell down what a fantastic school that WAS I used to live opposite next to the park.

hi ya remember mr slee and mrs snell as well also mrs singlton she head of infants when i was there.

i went to whitby rd school from 1971 until 1976/1977 i remember mr ellis very well we used to call him mr green for the obvious reasons lol, also remember the head master mr taylor, ive never ever come across an headmaster as strict in my whole life, i was once asked to go on an errand from my teacher to mr taylors office, i knocked on his door and he didnt answer so i thought he didnt hear me so i knocked again and he came straight out and slippered me, i will never forget the day, there i was only on an errand and got blinkin slippered for it, i went back to my class feeling very sorry for myself, i also used to love the assemblys were the teachers would choose a child to pick out a song for all to sing, and not forgetting the chocolate dundee biscuits and teacakes at break times, does anyone remember mr falzon from edale and mr albeya, sort of things we would get up to on april fools day were mixing the registers up so when all teachers opened register in a mornin they all had wrong ones, lol, those were the days,

I was at Whitby Road from 61 - 66 - same class as Kevin Burns / Dave Waller / Sharon Pratt / Gale hinds / Ann Rose / Glen Freeman / Sharon Lees / Ian Revitt / Rowena Roome / Anthony Staniland / Paul Timms and many others

I was in Miss Pattisons for a while, also Mrs Machin's. I also was in Mr Ellis' for a while. He fell asleep at his desk one day and a stink bomb was let off right next to a new pupil who was from Pakistan and couldn't speak a word of English. Mr Ellis woke up and asked who had let off the stink bomb. 50 fingers pointed at this poor young lad and Mr Ellis beat the living daylights out of him. I laughed at the time but I feel awful when I think about it. :help:

Happy days though ... from Kevin Stones

lived at 60 Frederick Street (next door to Pasks) and 21 Malvern Road

Do you remember the twin Hungarian lads ... can't spell their name but sounded like Booggars ... guess what we called them? :hihi:

Well, just had a small reunion of classmates from Owler Lane Intermediate and three of us were originally from Whitby Road School. It was great to see classmates after all these years. Talking of 1947-51/2 Would be good to see anyone else that was in our class.

There are plenty of comments about a Mr.Ellis but I would suggest that one of the school's most famous pupils was Keith Duncan Ellis who went on to play for Sheffield Wednesday in the mid 50's to early 60's with much success as a tall centre-forward.

Keith went to Whitby Road School about 1948 before passing the entrance examination to the boys' Central Technical School on Leopold Street.

The last time I spoke to Keith was at a player's funeral, about four years ago, and then a distinguished-looking grey, he told me he runs a corporate hospitality business in Harrogate.

Yes, Jacklev1

I remember all them and more, we lived on Nightingale street and my whole family went there, my mother was a dinner lady for a while as well.

Pity about it now!

is your mother called ann and b4 marrying lived in garth road