Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

Anybody remember the Kenny Pete Quartet??? Great band around Sheffield in the early sixties, played at all the usual places - Blue Bell Hackenthorpe, Sicey Hotel etc etc. Also any one remember the band, whose name escapes me right now, led by Tony Oliver(I think!) ex Heeley Banker, he lost an arm in a motorbike accident, but again played all the usual haunts. We would meet up with him mainly at the old Arbourthorne Hotel - which I found out on a recent visit had closed down earlier this year.
Yes I remember the "Kenny Pete Five" They were resident band at the Sicey Hotel for a while ..One lad was called Pete And his mate was Kenny ..They once won on "Opportunity Knocks" then they downscaled the band and I last remember them working the Clubs as "The Kenny Pete Duo"

Hi Timbuck I'm pleased someone remembers them!! The other two guys in the band were the pianist Allan, and Norman Aistrop the drummer a very funny little guy - although I thought the Irish guy in the band who was a great singer, was called John (Glass??) I worked with Norman at the YEB where we were Electricians many moons ago. Anyway thanks for the response - Merry Xmas!!

Royston Asked about Tony Oliver.

I think that he is probably refering to Peter Oliver who fronted several bands in the 60's under the name Tony Gale. Tony Gale and the storms and tony gale and the Chains. Also the band I played with the Tony Gale 5. Tony gale did have an arm which he couldnt use and it was due to a motorcycle accident. He lived on Queens Road on the left hand side near the traffic lights. When we worked together he sang a lot of Carl Perkins and Jim Reaves songs.I cannot remember any of the line up in the storms or the chains but the Tony Gale 5 was Tony on vocals, Alan Marshall on lead guitar Colin Spence on rhythm Ann Strong on Bass and myself David Swain on drums.

Davis Swain

:) hiall,sry know ime still in wrong thread,but jus remembered[i think]the basement club under mucky duck was called the buccaneer.

Sorry willo, but I think you may have had your buccaneers boxed a bit too much in the past, only kidding.

I realise this thread is for the 60's but I see no mention of the trad scene. I played bass with the Gloryland Jazz Band, based at The Mailcoach on West Street in the mid to late 1950's but then left Sheffield for national service. Does anyone remember them?

Did you ever see the Apex Jazz Band? I think they were students from the university. Played Trad at The Angel on Snig Hill. Anthony (also in Cambridgeshire)

I have just mentioned the Apex on the thread about grammar schools in the 50's. They were not students, at least not when I knew them, but people move on. They were at the Hallamshire, then moved to The Blue Boar and then, presumably to the Mucky Duck. I think I remember Mad Red being there and a modern group whose name escapes me for the moment.

Frank White Band, Scott William Combo, Dene Marshall and the Deputies, Dave Berry and the Cruisers, Frankenstein's Monsters...

Anybody remeber any of them, or are you all too young!!

Scott used to 'borrow' musicians from other groups, I remember him appearing with Dave Green and Kenny Slade who were Joe Cocker's base and drummer respectively.

The Searchers were nearly a Sheffield group as although they came from Lancashire their manager Johnny Peller was Sheffield based and got them a lot of work here. I met their Drummer Eddy Curtis in Spain a few years ago, he lives there now and was in very good shape.

re Lynne Gillett,

Lynne is still performing. She is in a band called All Woman and are working regularly in the local Working mens' clubs.

Wavey.

Good grief, I started this thread back in March 2003 and members are still posting replies.

How about some real nostalgia:

http://philbrodieband.com/index.html

The really sad thing about this thread is not the fact that we are all old and grey but that some of our friends are no longer with us.

I went to Sydney last night to see Eric Clapton, it was nice to see Chris Stainton's still going strong, which bands did he play for when he first started, as I've no recollection of him before he joined Joe Cocker.