Starting my own business

Hi iam looking to sstart y own business in the next year or so , to give me time to get to grips, i am wondering if anyone h'sany tips for me or advice on what to do and what not to do , also how would Ii go about doing it and things to consider thank you in advance.

P.s i am thinking thatsstates small and build up

start what?

what type of business? do you even know?

Yes, spa, massaging, sports nutrition and supplements, I'm giving myself a year or so to get more to grips and speak to people with any knowledge they can pass on to me

Yes, spa, massaging, sports nutrition and supplements, I'm giving myself a year or so to get more to grips and speak to people with any knowledge they can pass on to me

Are you already in this line of work? If not I would advise against it. You need to know your market ie competition, client base, products etc. In addition to that, you need a good business head on your shoulders. Being a good therapist isn't enough.

Start with a business plan. There are hundreds of free templates kicking around and there is NO excuse for not doing one.

Stick to what you know, start a company in a industry you have worked in if this is a feasible option.

Why would they help you when you are going to be a competitor and potentially able to lure their clients away from them?

Thank you for the advice started a business plan the other a it makes it a lot more clearer when it's in front of me so thank you marx ... and thank you bethanywalke , chez2 I posted this add here as it's to chat about business, they could be ex business owners who no longer run there own business who would be willing to give advice or kind people like marx and bethanywalke willing to pass knowledge down to me which I'm greatful for.

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 13:42 ----------

And yes i have been around this line of work for many years , just giving myself a while to get to grips with the thins that come along with owning your own business as tats one thing I haven't done before but anything is possible with hard work

I run my own business, did you not find my advice useful? Please take care, I would hate you to lose a lot of money. With the type of advice you are asking I fear you do not have the necessary skills to make a go of it.

If you are asking advice of people who have retired their advice will be out of date. In business you have to 'move with the times', "diversify or die". If their businesses were so successful they would have employed someone else to run the business while they sit back and reap the rewards in retirement. That's what we plan to do when we retire.

I wish you luck if you decide to go ahead. Please keep us posted.

The businesses listed are all quite different aren't they.

A spa requires premises, and a decent one is relatively expensive to set up. Even just a sauna, steam room and hot-tub won't be cheap, and people expect a lot more than that if they're paying for it. Consider Spa 1877 and it's £30 entrance fee.

Massage requires much less in the way of facilities, but building up a good client base is key. There are quite a few massage businesses around, varying from the come to see you at home, to luxury ones at places like 1877, and more useful sports massages at various locations all over the city.

Sports nutrition and supplements is, how to put this delicately, over subscribed with people who've read about nutrition on the internet or done a few days training with a particular supplement manufacturer. It's got low barriers for entry, relatively low set up costs, and a low return.

Thank you cyclone for your advice ill be sure to take it on board throughout my journey , I will be doing research on other businesses down the route I'm going . Chez2 of course your advise was good and I took it on board also that's why I posted here everyone's advice is good to me, you can't really say I ddon't have the necessary skills to make a go of it, it'slike telling a newborn baby Iit doesn't have the necessary skills to walk, it takes time like everything in life does that's why I said I'm giving myself a year or two to get everything together

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 16:17 ----------

Didn't mean for you to take me as ungrateful at all chez2 because i really do appreciate your advice

Thanks Shontammi, I held back from offering further advice because I feared it would not be received in the way it was intended. I had thought about posting the comments Cyclone posted but was afraid of your reaction.

I don't want to discourage you but I have to disagree with your comments here " you can't really say I ddon't have the necessary skills to make a go of it, it'slike telling a newborn baby Iit doesn't have the necessary skills to walk"

The potential to walk is an inherent ubiquitous trait / characteristic / skill in humans. Being able to run a business is not. Some things can be learnt but you have to be a certain type of personality or mind set to run a business. There may be a phrase to describe what I'm trying to explain but I don't know it so I will give an example.

Often businesses will do tests on their employees to see what set of characteristics they have, different people will suit different roles. Some people are suited to sales and promoting, some caring roles, etc etc. Its a while since I have had to do one of these so can't remember the details. I have seen a lot of friends who have caring roles as a career choice and they don't usually make very good sales people. Same with goes for Scientific or technical people. They rarely make good sales people.

The questions you are asking show me that you will need a lot of experience before you will be ready to run a business. There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there. I thought I was experienced but I have had to learn the hard way when some people have pulled some unethical moves on us as a business.