Can you get sacked for comments on facebook?

Right, you mean saying you are bored and saying something that brings disrepute is different, not the fact it is verbal or written.

Well its irrelevant either way under 12 months employment as you can be dismissed for either on the grounds of just being 'unsuitable'. However after that time, the employer would have to justify to a tribunal what is 'disrepute' as being bored is how they feel about the work they do, its not saying anything bad about the company. A dismissal has to have good grounds. I doubt that an emplyer could say to a tribunal that they read that an employee was bored in their job, so they sacked them after working there 3 years, and get away with it.

No, I was saying: don't slag off your employer. Ever. Online.

Any employer looking for an excuse to get rid of someone would use any excuse, being bored or something worse.

In terms of severity, though, its light years between a one off bored comment and a slagging off.

remember these sayings "loose talk costs lives" and " walls have ears":hihi:

A lass on my facebook slammed the carehome she worked in,not content,she went on to slate her elderly residents too,the rubbish she spouted was truely awfull.

Im pretty sure it made the star, and was big news,around 6 or 8 months ago,needless to say,she left her position,and created a new facebook Id

No. It's NOT the same. There's a massive difference between saying you are bored and putting a company in disrepute.

That is not what I was talking about, so why are you pretending to disagree with me?

That is not what I was talking about, so why are you pretending to disagree with me?

Edit: Waste of time posting anything when people react and take things to extremes like this...

/sigh

Edited by Karis

I agree making comments about your employer on facebook could be a sackable offence. The grey area is if you send a private message to a friend on facebook and somehow it got into the public domain- I think you could have a case for not being sacked then.

Either way, its rather silly to discuss your worklife in negative ways with anyone on facebook, it should be used as a social forum, not a place to air your grievances- face to face with someone trusted or talk to your employer are the best channels IMO.

Edited by TJC1

If you're simply saying stuff like "roll on 5pm" or "roll on the weekend" etc then it's a bit harsh to sack someone and there would probably be a case at a tribunal.

However, if you're making specific reference to disliking your job, or not liking your boss etc then yes it seems perfectly fair and reasonable for your company to sack you.

I think so, you have to really try and keep your work and social life separate - unfortunately social networking makes this harder - you should activate all the privacy settings on your facebook account so only friends can see them. This should stop your employers coming across them?

Completely agree with karis and understand your frustration.......sitting in a pub and slagging off your boss/company to friends is nothing like writing it as your status on facebook where potentially 300 or so 'friends' can see it!

I have a few examples of this: A friend of mine got rejected from a job because of photos on facebook. Another got a disciplinary for making digs about there work place on facebook and another frend of mine has to monitor her facebook as she works within the NHS and gets constant checks on photos status's and comments - Its rediculous really... I see it as an invasion of privacy but then on the other hand if you dont want people to see it dont post it.

I can see both sides of the argument but I kind of feel if in work you do your job well then ur personal life out of work shouldnt effect your working life unless you work with children etc

Completely agree with karis and understand your frustration.......sitting in a pub and slagging off your boss/company to friends is nothing like writing it as your status on facebook where potentially 300 or so 'friends' can see it!

Actually it is exactly the same thing; it's bringing your employer into disrepute. Whether or not other people find out about it does not remotely affect the nature of the offence. That only affects whether you're likely to get away with it, not that you have done wrong.