Council and water rates

We are in a flat, albeit not a council property, and on meter for our water. They connected the meter to the cold inlet pipe in our riser and I believe will still install meters for free. I would have thought that this should be able to be done in other flats unless the plumbing is convoluted. With meter, for two of us, we pay around £250 per annum. The council will reach that figure via the rateable values, as mentioned earlier.

Well those charges sound more like it!

So it is possible to have a water meter in a flat. That's useful info.

Well the plot thickens, according to ofwat, as scc are a reseller of the water companys services they are supposed to provide you with a breakdown of how the bill is worked out and they are not allowed to charge more than £5 per year admin, looks like scc are being very naughty here and breaching ofwat regs!!!!

Well the plot thickens, according to ofwat, as scc are a reseller of the water companys services they are supposed to provide you with a breakdown of how the bill is worked out and they are not allowed to charge more than £5 per year admin, looks like scc are being very naughty here and breaching ofwat regs!!!!

How do you know they charge you more than £5 pa admin? You can't presume that the discrepancy between average values is an admin charge. Does your water bill not get broken down into water usage, sewerage and surface water drainage then? These are the three 'usage' splits, the latter two being calculated by equations based on usage and on roof area versus number of tenements respectively.

How do you know they charge you more than £5 pa admin? You can't presume that the discrepancy between average values is an admin charge. Does your water bill not get broken down into water usage, sewerage and surface water drainage then? These are the three 'usage' splits, the latter two being calculated by equations based on usage and on roof area versus number of tenements respectively.

I find it hard to believe a council flat would have a ratable value that would equate to a £423.50 bill (taking off the fiver)

Where a property doesn't have a water meter, the charge is based on the old rateable value. We (two of us) have a meter, never have baths just showers (not a power shower), and have a water butt for the garden. We pay nearly £500 a year.

We're trying to work out if we've got a leak somewhere. :confused:

Bloomin' eck..we pay less than that without a meter..

I find it hard to believe a council flat would have a ratable value that would equate to a £423.50 bill (taking off the fiver)

Well mine is over £500

Does it give the rateable value of your flat anywhere on the bill..on ours it does...although we don't live in a council property...

So do I, as it happens, but I don't know anything about the OP's property. See http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/consumerissues/chargesbills/unmetered/rv for details on Rateable Value.

To do some quick calculations based on Yorkshire Water's charges document and a random rateable value:

1990 property price, £75,000 = RV of 75.

2013/14 water supply charges = £1.29 per £1 RV (£96.75) plus standing charge of £42.62 (£139.37)

Assuming house is connected to surface drainage, sewerage = £1.53 per £1 RV (£114.75) plus standing charge of £47.89 (£162.64)

Plus surface water drainage charges, assuming small roof area, of £45.96

= £347.97

I think I've got that around about right. So yes, a 1990 property value of c. £90,000 could produce a bill around £430 pa, if I've done the calculations correctly.

And how many flats were worth £90k in 1990 in Sheffield? Not many in council stock, if any.

And how many flats were worth £90k in 1990 in Sheffield? Not many in council stock, if any.

That's why I posted #19..

That's why I posted #19..

Well a rateable value of £90k would put you in council tax band E. There are going to be hardly any flats in Band E with the exception of the odd city centre penthouse.

Therefore the figures in the opening post look very high.

So do I, as it happens, but I don't know anything about the OP's property. See http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/consumerissues/chargesbills/unmetered/rv for details on Rateable Value.

To do some quick calculations based on Yorkshire Water's charges document and a random rateable value:

1990 property price, £75,000 = RV of 75.

2013/14 water supply charges = £1.29 per £1 RV (£96.75) plus standing charge of £42.62 (£139.37)

Assuming house is connected to surface drainage, sewerage = £1.53 per £1 RV (£114.75) plus standing charge of £47.89 (£162.64)

Plus surface water drainage charges, assuming small roof area, of £45.96

= £347.97

I think I've got that around about right. So yes, a 1990 property value of c. £90,000 could produce a bill around £430 pa, if I've done the calculations correctly.

How does 75k correlate to a reateable value of 75? 75what?

I've worked the figures using what we know..and the charges from YW's websie

Water supply standing charge...£42.62

Sewerage Charge...................£47.89

Total Standing Charge £90.51

Total bill £428.50

Total - Standing charge = £337.99

sewerage charge = £1.53/£ rateable value

Supply charge = £1.29/£rateable value

Total charge = £2.8214/Rateable value

Rateable value= = £337.99/2.8214= £119.79

How does the reateable value relate to the actual value of the property?

What's wrong with my calcs..?

Edited by truman