Do Border Collies make good pets?

BC’s are not your run of the mill pet dogs - they are very hard work if they are to be kept happy and ultimately healthy. Of all working dogs, I would place them in the higher intelligence bracket and unless someone can provide the mental stimulation and exercise that they really do need, I’d advise to choose a different dog.

It’s easy to say there are lots that need homes but being in the wrong environment could be so cruel for the dog. Please advise your friend to speak to as many people as possible, particularly agility people who tend to give excellent, honest advice about them, before rehoming one.

I hope I don’t sound negative about BC’s in homes, because I have known quite a few happy house dwellers but at the same time, I’ve seen some screwed up in rescue too. :(

I have a border collie and I wouldn't part with her for a million pounds. I did a lot of research before getting her. They don't need loads and loads of exercise, this is a myth they need a good walk everyday but you don't have to be out for 4 hours lol!

The main thing is they are kept mentally agile, teach them tricks play with them etc.

Mine loves a good play but she equally loves snuggling up and having her belly rubbed.

I have a border collie and I wouldn't part with her for a million pounds. I did a lot of research before getting her. They don't need loads and loads of exercise, this is a myth they need a good walk everyday but you don't have to be out for 4 hours lol!

The main thing is they are kept mentally agile, teach them tricks play with them etc.

Mine loves a good play but she equally loves snuggling up and having her belly rubbed.

My dog at home was a border collie, and I have a collie x now and both have needed a lot of exercise... no not 4 hour walks but maybe a couple of hour long ones with free running/chasing a ball seems popular with collies, and especially so while they were young.

But I do agree with you in that they do need lots of mental stimulation and a dog finds that more tiring than a walk, so need lots of training, they really enjoy working with people its a shame not to.

Both of our girls were/are really loyal and loving dogs, and really cuddly too.... but really hard work when young.

my nan had a border collie when i was growing up and she was so good, but im not sure is any one else has encounted this but i always rember her when there was loads of people in the house or garden she would try rounding us up.

i have a collie and a lurcher saluki x my collie needs loads of excersize i got him from rescue when he was approx 5 or 6 and have had him 5 years and their is still not enough hours in the day to tire him,he comes hunting most nights with me and the lurcher and loves it,but unless you use the dog for something ie agility,flyball or something to stimulate them i dont think they are the best choice for a pet

I had one for a couple of months, taken on from a friend who found him to be a handful. I thought he would keep my own dog company and they would play and exercise together. It couldn't have been further from the truth.

The collie quickly, through bullying and biting the other dog, established itself as pack leader. It wouldn't respond to any form of training given, being far too easily distracted and hyper. It wanted permanent attention when in the house but as soon as you let it out into the garden it would break out by digging its way through hedges and under fences and refused to come back until it wanted to. I've never known such a demanding animal.

My original dog became a recluse, afraid of the collie. It lost all of its spark and personality and began to look ill.

I made a decision to rehome the collie. I had persevered but it didnt work out as expected. It needed to have a home where it was the centre of attention with no other dog in the equation. It also needed an owner who would give it 100% attention as this is what this breed needs. I found an owner who promised all this and had experience of collies and let him go.

Within 30 mins of the collie leaving, the original dog began to regain his personality. Even to this day if you say the name of the bully to him, his ears will go flat and he puts his head down!

I usually take ours out for an hour an half walk in the woods, and she runs about with our other dog, she's only young still. At home we play with her and train her. I am at home all day so that makes a difference. I do have to keep an eye on her for pinching stuff!

I think they make great pets but you must be prepared to give them a lot of attention. :-)

We found a pup couldn't be more than 7 months old on a trip to Bridlington a few year back, We put found posters up but no one came forward for her, My uncles have had her for the past 4 years and she is totally mental. Loves to play ball but spends most of her time upstairs on the bed, she is spoilt rotton but a very funny little thing, sometimes she will come down to eat other times he has to take her food up to her, same with walks sometimes she's there waiting to go out other times she can't be bothered and will sulk away back upstairs. I guess all dogs have their off days but her offs are very often every other day so it would seem. They love her to bits, but I don't think I would ever choose to have one.

Lots of people get the smaller collies for, flyball and agility, Collies are very intelligent, loving and loyal dogs..... but you do have to work them in some way in my opinion.

I agree, they need interaction and exercise. they are individuals and they vary quite a lot, some will happily sleep all day others will destroy your house if you go out for an hour. Big WSDs and BCs are fine for agility, flyball etc too. If they are too small they go into the medium classification and whilst they do really well, they don't get to be the best (in the large category).

yeah border collies make great dogs very protective and keen.;)

we have owned several borders over the years, trained and used as workers for sheep and cattle. they are very loyal and ameanable dogs, but they DO need a purpose. dont have to be hearding, but you must get involved in something or you will end up with a frustrated, stir-crazy dog on your hands. anything requiring them to use their brain is fine: obedience, agility, flyball, even heelwork to music. we have even seen them run in harness at sled-dog rallies and they seem pretty good at that too, so how about trying bikejoring or scootering with one?

My brother-in-law owns a collie, he does fell-running at competion level, and the dog goes with him.

I quite fancy an australian cattle dog ;)

I have to agree with the majority here, we had two BCs, mother, and son from her first and only litter.

Excersise was crucial for keeping them sane, if left to their own devices the mother would eat through the skirting board for a pass time!

Loads of fun, loved to learn new things especially if you tapped into the hearding instinct. I have never been as fit and the male was ultra protective so I could walk them day or night without worry.

Now have a GSD who is much harder work!