Rhubarb compote

Watched Something for the Weekend today and saw how they cooked their rhubarb. I didn't have any apricot jam but had homemade rhubarb and giner jam which I substituted and it was fab. Me and hubby had it with vanilla ice cream, great for a summery pud! see SFTW website for recipe, ps I used water not white wine!

I cook my rhubarb in a couple of tablespoons of orange juice...cheap, cheerful and tasty!!

Can anyone give me any advice on how to grow successful rhubarb? I have bought 2 or 3 plants but have never had any real success with them, they just seem to rot in the ground and if I do get any its really thin and straggly, where am i going wrong?

I am no rhubarb expert but you may be planting in ground which is too damp or waterlogged. If so, try elsewhere. They may have suffered from crown rot. If so, remove the remainder of the plant and burn. Do not plant any more rhubarb in that space. You are also advised not to pull any stalks the first year: difficult I know! Just take one or two. I also cook my rhbarb in orange juice with ginger. If you're short, cook with some apple to which it will transfer taste and colour. Good luck!

Thanks for that happyaslarry, I will certainly give it a try. I will try and resist pulling it for the 1st year and hope all is well by this time next year.