Iconic Sheffield "stores"

Nope - definitely Bubble 'n' Squeak (at least, that's the early 1970s shop that jack reacher referred to, as per the Kelly's Directory link in Hillsbro's post #21). In fact think I still have a couple of shirts I bought there, as well as a pair of rather snazzy slacks, but I don't suppose they'd go well with my grey hair now…:(

I see what you're saying and I hesitate to question Kellys,but if it's the shop I'm thinking of I remember it being called Southsea Bubble.I'm talking about a shop round the corner from the Nelson and opposite the far end of Allied Carpets where we used to buy Loon Pants and cheesecloth shirts.I remember the name because,during history at school,we covered the South Sea Bubble and I remember thinking "That's the name of that clothes shop in town where we get those non-regulation school trousers!"It proved to be a useful revision aid! I know this all sounds bizarre, but I base my claim on a successful O-level pass!

Sorry Shane but I agree with Banker, it definitely started off as Bubble and Squeak in the early 70s.Loon pants,cheesecloth shirts ,platforms the lot.It may have changed the name later on I can't say for sure.

I don't know how I managed to pass O-level history then.It seems I'd be more likely to get O-level domestic science!

Maybe there were two different shops. The location suggested by shanes teeth, round the corner from the Nelson and opposite Allied Carpets would be somewhere around No 44 Union Street, while Kelly's places Bubble 'n' Squeak at No 26, not far from the junction with Charles Street. I guess we need more directories!

I failed 'O' level history miserably....:(

Come off it - I can't boil an egg. Fortunately Mrs hillsbro is an excellent cook (hence my ample waistline). No prizes for guessing where the photo was taken...

It's not Millbeach is it?

I've just been looking at some pictures of Union St on Picture Sheffield and as far as I can tell the shop I remember was somewhere between the Nelson end of the street and the Cambridge Arcade.

If so, then the Cambridge Arcade was a real "gem". It went from Barney Goodman's in Pinstone Street through to Union Street, and it was a crime to demolish it in 1973. I suppose it's only us old-timers who remember it...:(

At first,I thought he meant that kind of arcade,but I think he meant amusement arcades!

I agree though,it was one of the worst bits of civic vandalism to demolish such arcades.Towns and cities that retained their's (Norwich and Harrogate spring to mind) have retained real treasures of shopping history.

Hillsbro, I wouldn't describe myself as an old-timer, but I certainly remember, very clearly, the Cambridge Arcade, and the Suggs Shop, and the blind chap who sold matches and pens and such like from a tray on the Pinstone Street end.

In fact I remember a legend about this gentleman.

It was said that his hearing was so acute that he could tell, by the sound of the coins as you dropped them into his cup, how much you had deposited, and whether you had short-changed him!!

(PS I thought BG's was at the Norfolk Street end of the arcade, near SUT's shop? - I do stand to be corrected on that one)

I do think it's a pity that many of Sheffield's architecturally interesting buildings are being/ were demolished by developers/ were destroyed in the war.

l**ds has kept many of its beautiful and ornate arcades, and has made quite a feature of them.

In fairness l**ds didn't quite get the decimation that Sheffield got in the war, so didn't lose as much of their handsome, city centre buildings as we did.

(They have their fair share of ugly 1960's towers, that's true. Though I hate to admit this, I do think the arcades in the Victoria Quarter in l**ds are very handsome, and ornate.)

When I returned to sheffield after a gap of 31 years in 2005 I was disappointed to see the Cambridge Arcade had gone. I worked for George Wood & co.Ltd. Gunsmiths on the ground floor of Sugg's store at the Pinstone st. end in the 60's before first going to Aus. I believe the Sugg family still live out at Edale.

Hi Plain Talker - you've reminded me of the old gent who sold matches etc. at the end of the Cambridge Arcade. My older brother remembers the story about his hearing being acute enough to know what coins you had given him.

Barney Goodman's was at the Pinstone Street end, opposite Suggs - both shops can be seen on this 1950s photo.

It's true that Sheffield lost some of its architecturally interesting buildings in the war, such as the 16th century King's Head (corner of Change Alley) and the early 19th century Angel Hotel nearby (here are "before" and "after" photos). In the post-war period our city fathers seemed determined to finish off what the Luftwaffe had missed..:(

Hi Plain Talker - you've reminded me of the old gent who sold matches etc. at the end of the Cambridge Arcade. My older brother remembers the story about his hearing being acute enough to know what coins you had given him.

Barney Goodman's was at the Pinstone Street end, opposite Suggs - both shops can be seen on this 1950s photo.

It's true that Sheffield lost some of its architecturally interesting buildings in the war, such as the 16th century King's Head (corner of Change Alley) and the early 19th century Angel Hotel nearby (here are "before" and "after" photos). In the post-war period our city fathers seemed determined to finish off what the Luftwaffe had missed..:(

hiya i remember most of the 40s/50s shops in town as when my mates and me were 15 or so on sundays there were no cinemas open only for 16 + anyhow we couldnt afford it after saturday dances all we were left with were snooker hall or window shopping, i remember winstons at the bottoom of snig hill was the one for modern gear their shirts ( spearpoint, cuttaway collar, slimjim ties,) their shop sold the shirts for 29s/11d or £1.50p ties were 15s0d or 75p. i saw my first nylon shirt there around 55/56 it was £2. 0d but it was really uncomfortable to wear . now bunnys was different they were cheap,their jeans we only had for workl. as for records we used to listen to records at one of our friends they were the only ones with a record player the 45s had come out a little earlier the records were 6s od or 30p each. i remember the blind chap ouside suggs, i knew another blind chap he went in our local, he could teol what coin would drop on the pub floor if it were half a crown he would offer 2s for it always less than the fallen coin.

Edited by willybite

Hi willybite - a few memories there! Yes I remember Bunneys in Waingate; it was a regular port of call on Saturdays when I wasn't broke, and if I was 'flush' I'd get something from Winstons. We thought 45 rpm singles and long-playing albums were great when they replaced the old 78s. We also didn't have a record player but a (very popular) school pal of mine did. Later when my dad bought a Dansette I remember queueing at Cann's in Chapel Walk for Lonnie Donegan's My Old Man's a Dustman. According to Wikipedia that was in 1960. Memories...