Renault Scenic ERG valve

Hi

Does anyone have any ideas about how to change/clean the ERG valve on a renault scenic 1.6 dynamic?

Our car has recently started to have a power struggle in the lower gears we have checked the coils as the engine reader stated #4 coil was faulty but after changing this & the plugs the fault was still there we have been told that the ERG valve could need cleaning but are unsure where the valve is and if it is something we can do ourselves??

Any help or decent/honest mechanics???

How old is your Scenic? I didn't think they put a EGR on all but the latest petrol models.

Oh, and forget the fault code reader - knackered coil packs rarely report a fault. My money would be on another 1 (more likely 2) being knackered. That Renault 1.6 engine is quite tough, but always succumbs to coil pack failure eventually. Go buy another 3, they're loads cheaper than they used to be

It may be that you accidentally replaced the wrong coil. French engines are actually numbered 1-4 in the opposite way to most engines, so you may have replaced the ignition coil on cylinder#1 thinking it was cylinder#4.

As Emperor Ming suggested, it's always best to replace all four if you can afford it, when one goes the others don't tend to last much longer.

As regards to the code reader, a faulty coil on a Renault usually DOES give a specific fault code. This shows up when read with Renault software but not always when read with a universal EOBD code reader.

Check out the Renault forums. I'm active on a couple of Peugeot ones and previously a Fiat one and clogged EGR valves are a common thing, particularly on diesels, and there's usually a sticky or "how to" on its location and cleaning. The location could be very easy to find on one model, but difficult on another. For example on my 407 its very easy to reach, but in a 307 it means an engine drop.

A good fault code reader should identify an EGR fault, the Peugeot one - Planet - certainly does.

Power loss could be any manner of things. I'd check all pipes and hoses for splits or leaks first.

To be honest, i've seen Mr G-Tech in action and would recommend him..

Why not take it down to see him, least it's going to cost your is an hour of your time and the price of a bit of diagnostic work. Otherwise you'll be blindly changing parts till you find the faulty one - much like a main dealer does!

Thanks Guys, think I will give g-tech a call tomorrow!!

We did test coil #2 & 4 but fault still remained at #4 maybe we need to check the others also as suggested???

Someone has mentioned to try using forte lubrication to try and clean/flush the system?

Suggestions on reliable family cars most welcome!!!!!!!

P.S anyone want to buy a scenic ;)

Thanks Guys, think I will give g-tech a call tomorrow!!

We did test coil #2 & 4 but fault still remained at #4 maybe we need to check the others also as suggested???

Someone has mentioned to try using forte lubrication to try and clean/flush the system?

Suggestions on reliable family cars most welcome!!!!!!!

P.S anyone want to buy a scenic ;)

Can I ask why you tested #2 ?

You said the code reader showed a fault on #4 but replacing it didn't cure the fault, G-Tech mentioned that you may have confused #4 with #1 due to the french cylinder numbering.

G tec how much do you charge to clean a egr valve on a scenic 1.5dci as i done 80000miles on it already

Can I ask why you tested #2 ?

We tested #2 to see whether the new coil was faulty as when replaced #4 the fault code was still showing - we should've however tested them all reading the posts.

We have also bought some forte lubrication to try so fingers crossed we may be able to crack this problem soon!!!!!!

cheers guys