Career criminal given 22 years sentence for theft of TV remote.

Should our judges give longer sentences to career criminals?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should our judges give longer sentences to career criminals?

• Yes
    • No

Sounds like what we call a Dwelling Burglary with a max sentence of 14 yrs in the UK. If there were no particularly aggravating features eg confrontation, even with plenty of 'form' unlikely he'd get more than c 4 yrs here.

If someone has a negative impact on society then they can become positive by compulsory donating their body parts

I like that idea.:thumbsup:

"He left behind a glove containing traces of his DNA at the scene on August 1, 2015."

Do the cops in this country do DNA testing for burglary of a remote control?

It will stop him stealing stuff. Your stuff potentially, and if it's a burglary or theft from a car he'll not to be caught quickly - if at all.

Id prefer they chop their hands off. They wont be stealing anymore, and its a cheaper option to prison.

Id prefer they chop their hands off. They wont be stealing anymore, and its a cheaper option to prison.

Be careful what you wish for - hard to light knock off fags with no hands!

You should move to a country under Sharia Law, sounds like you would fit right in.

Lets do the same for all thieves then. Including tax evaders. Know of any?

Should they do that to tax avoiders who are stealing from the rest of us ? If not, what other suitable punishment can you think of Penny ?

---------- Post added 13-01-2017 at 09:48 ----------

"He left behind a glove containing traces of his DNA at the scene on August 1, 2015."

Do the cops in this country do DNA testing for burglary of a remote control?

Maybe they should. The chances are if he`s stolen a remote control he`s also stolen other stuff. And even if he hasn`t, if it`s his first "mini job", it`s human nature to take things further, best to nip it in the bud. That`s the basic principle of zero tolerance policing. I`m quite liberal in may things, but I am in favour of zero tolerance policing, if it`s the law, prosecute it, if not that just develops disrespect for the law.

How much will it cost to keep this guy in prison for the minimum of 11 years?

In cases like this prison does not work and it isn't value for money.....

I don't think the point of prison is to get value for money, so we shouldn't judge success based on that criteria.

I think one of prison's aims is for rehabilitation of offenders - in this case it does appear to have failed (as he appears to be a career/repeat offender) so far.

Another aim of prison (I think) is to remove undesirable elements from society (the definition of 'undesirable' is determined by the laws etc., in a country). So a longer sentence may be a way of achieving this aim.

Edited by Eddie_shef
typos