Is it possible to get mumps twice?

Nick2 may be correct, my mother has had chickenpox a few times, she has no natural immunisation against it. shes not allowed near young children who may be carrying it, doctors very strict with her about it now shes in her sixty's. when I was pregnant the doctor was worried that I may be the same, but I am not..

On an additional note, I've had the Hepatitus B vaccine twice and it hasn't worked either time, the doctor said there is no point trying a third time.

I have a weird imune system.

Originally posted by nick2

Oh, I've only had it twice then.

stop being greedy,give someone else a chance i have never had them:clap:

It isn't possible to get mumps more than once. However, it is possible to still get mumps after being vaccinated. 'Reported' cases of having mumps twice will involve at least one case of misdiagnosis.

I thought you could catch mumps twice... I'm sure I remember being told that if, when the first time you get it, it is only on one "side" then you could catch it again... maybe thats just urban myth though

I remember when me and my sister had chickenpox when we were little, my dad had a spot on his arm (not a chickenpox though), told his employer he was coming down with them and went off climbing to Scotland for two weeks leaving my poor mum with two very scratchy and irritable toddlers :hihi:

I don't see why not, I've had chickenpox three times.

Realy i think itll be so scary for me to have 3x chickenpox i dont want to have those again..

But now i have a mumps i have twice the first time is when i was 9 yrs old and now im 24 yrs old i have mumps again.. too much pain..

When I was a child, my sister had mumps on one side. I caught it from her and had it on both sides. Then, just as I was getting over it, my sister got mumps on the other side. So I think you can get it twice....one side of the other or both sides at one time.

I thought you could catch mumps twice...

You can, but it's highly unlikely - sufficiently unlikely that most people believe it's actually impossible.

In the large majority of cases, once you've had mumps (or chicken pox, or measles, or...) the first time, the antibodies that your immune system developed to fight it off will stay in the system's "memory", so that the second time around, the disease never gets a chance to take hold before the antibodies kill it off.

Large majority, but not quite everyone ... some people's immune systems don't work properly, for various reasons; the same failures that might stop a vaccine from working, as mentioned above.

There's a technical difference between a virus lying dormant in the system for years and flaring up again, or invading a second time; but it is only a technical difference. To the poor sod who's got the disease again, it amounts to the same thing; he's "caught mumps" a second time.

Well i heard a rumor is it true if you have mumps twice you will have a problem having a child?

Well i heard a rumor is it true if you have mumps twice you will have a problem having a child?

Mumps can, as a complication, cause fertility problems in either sex, even the first time around. About one man in four who contracts the disease after puberty will have testicular problems with it; a major reason for vaccinating children (and, prior to vaccination, a major reason for encouraging your kids to play with whoever has mumps!) It can also, much less commonly, cause swelling of the ovaries in women; on extremely rare occasions, either of these complications could lead to sterility.

Cause im having a problem with my mumps i think its going down.. is there anyway to avoid this?

I once had huge lump on one side of my neck. So i went to the doctors and he sed it was just an infection in my gland. I thought it was nothing that serious, so carried on as usual. My friend somehow contracts the infection. He gets same lump on his neck. Very noticable one too. Very swollen.

Week later lump has gone. But brother diagnosed with Mumps.

Eh?

Was the doc wrong or was it coinsidence?

Week later Grandma rushed into hospital due to serious gland problem.

Weird eh. Was it mumps I had?