The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

That's a pretty good summary. Except that the majority of UK export does not, as I understand it, go to the EU and hasn't for a few years now.

The "single market" is would probably be better called the EU internal market.

In principle UK businesses will now have second class status in the EU internal market, it's a matter of a great deal of conjecture and debate as to what difference that will make.

First point - the EU is the UKs biggest trade partner by far.

Second point - there is a debate, in or out. The out guys are winning for some bizarre reason, the UK is set to leave the single market and become an external trade partner. Just like those IT service firms I mentioned there are thousands of other trades that are going to be considered second class to internal EU suppliers at the stroke of a pen. The reason the market isn't diving of a cliff yet - businessmen and advisors are putting pressure on the government for a reason, leaving the single market is a single punch to the temple for the UK export economy. There is no if or but, that is what is on the table.

What I always wonder about your point of view in this debate, if you had realised all the facts before the vote would you have let your obsession with the energy-agenda lead you to the same decision? Surely, as a scientist in the local area, you are aware that the University of Sheffield has implemented yet another round of voluntary redundancy and a recruitment stop? They aren't alone.

It is going to haunt you for a long time and your career will be hindered. Is that a price worth paying for a, in my opinion, petty-project that isn't even correctly interpreted as you don't seem to have an understanding of all the facts?

First point - the EU is the UKs biggest trade partner by far.

Second point - there is a debate, in or out. The out guys are winning for some bizarre reason, the UK is set to leave the single market and become an external trade partner. Just like those IT service firms I mentioned there are thousands of other trades that are going to be considered second class to internal EU suppliers at the stroke of a pen. The reason the market isn't diving of a cliff yet - businessmen and advisors are putting pressure on the government for a reason, leaving the single market is a single punch to the temple for the UK export economy. There is no if or but, that is what is on the table.

What I always wonder about your point of view in this debate, if you had realised all the facts before the vote would you have let your obsession with the energy-agenda lead you to the same decision? Surely, as a scientist in the local area, you are aware that the University of Sheffield has implemented yet another round of voluntary redundancy and a recruitment stop? They aren't alone.

It is going to haunt you for a long time and your career will be hindered. Is that a price worth paying for a, in my opinion, petty-project that isn't even correctly interpreted as you don't seem to have an understanding of all the facts?

I have bigger concerns than my own status and career progression. I have explained these at great length.

There is a clear distinction between being the biggest trading partner and being the majority trading partner. This is not a huge correction and I don't disagree with the bulk of your previous post otherwise.

I have bigger concerns than my own status and career progression. I have explained these at great length.

There is a clear distinction between being the biggest trading partner and being the majority trading partner. This is not a huge correction and I don't disagree with the bulk of your previous post otherwise.

It is both the biggest and the majority, 55%+ for EEA exports - 50%+ for EU exports, Over 60% for imports for both.

Brexit is playing with fire for international trade, not just for the UK, but also for its biggest trading partners in the EU, the Dutch are the third biggest Export destination and 4th biggest Import source (only just after China). The US, which I presume you are referring to, are reliant on the UK being a gateway into Europe, particularly for high-tech manufacturing and pharmaceutical.

It is both the biggest and the majority, 55%+ for EEA exports - 50%+ for EU exports, Over 60% for imports for both.

Brexit is playing with fire for international trade, not just for the UK, but also for its biggest trading partners in the EU, the Dutch are the third biggest Export destination and 4th biggest Import source (only just after China). The US, which I presume you are referring to, are reliant on the UK being a gateway into Europe, particularly for high-tech manufacturing and pharmaceutical.

This is not my information, although it's not that far off so maybe it doesn't matter too much.

https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/OverseasTradeStatistics/Pages/EU_and_Non-EU_Data.aspx

Economics are important to be sure. But short term economic stability is not the only factor in political decision making. It should not be and it probably could not be.

Disrupting a stagnating market often brings great benefits.

...Disrupting a stagnating market often brings great benefits.

Can you provide examples?

This is not my information, although it's not that far off so maybe it doesn't matter too much.

https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/OverseasTradeStatistics/Pages/EU_and_Non-EU_Data.aspx

Economics are important to be sure. But short term economic stability is not the only factor in political decision making. It should not be and it probably could not be.

It isn't short term, the project you are dismissing has been with us since the 1980s. That is well beyond the regular economic cycle. This will have a long term impact.

Not to mention that the perceived benefits as on display in the previous threads are pipe-dreams, immigration will only come down if the economy does tank (more and more likely), 'sovereignty' is just going to lead to bigger political swings in this country and the perceived collapse of the EU is as far away now as it was before the financial crisis of 2008. (Dutch source re. faith in the European Project)

What a curious phrase.

Which market are we disrupting?

How do you classify the disruption?

Is it the single market?

Are you suggesting trade will increase greatly with Europe ?

You say often brings great benefits can you illustrate the often point from the examples you are relying on?

Isnt there also the possibility that such disruption could make things worse?

You are going to need to back that up in some way.

What disruption do you envisage? And what do you think the benefits will be? Some real world examples would be good.

It isn't short term, the project you are dismissing has been with us since the 1980s. That is well beyond the regular economic cycle. This will have a long term impact.

Not to mention that the perceived benefits as on display in the previous threads are pipe-dreams, immigration will only come down if the economy does tank (more and more likely), 'sovereignty' is just going to lead to bigger political swings in this country and the perceived collapse of the EU is as far away now as it was before the financial crisis of 2008. (Dutch source re. faith in the European Project)

Millions of people disagree with you or don't care and ignoring the wishes of millions of people will eventually lead to disaster.

Millions of people disagree with you or don't care and ignoring the wishes of millions of people will eventually lead to disaster.

Millions of people were not aware of all the facts or certainly did not understand what they were voting on - and even now fail to acknowledge what they voted on. What are you going to do when the economy crashes? Don't you think that will lead to disaster?

Off the top of my head, since everybody seems so keen...

The introduction of the internet was very disruptive to the communications market, and to the retail market and almost everything else.

The introduction of the train, and later the bus, were very disruptive to the transport market.

The EU is, I think, the worlds only declining trade bloc. Maybe it need shaking up a little.

Millions of people were not aware of all the facts or certainly did not understand what they were voting on - and even now fail to acknowledge what they voted on. What are you going to do when the economy crashes? Don't you think that will lead to disaster?

Your opinion on whether we knew what were voting for is unimportant, the consequences of ignoring the wishes of the people would be far worse than the consequences of implementing their wishes.