Council rent - do you still get "free" weeks over Christmas?

Jeffrey Shaw

Various threads on same topic now merged (again).

Message added by Jeffrey Shaw

It's not actually two weeks free rent, they pay slightly extra (a couple of pounds a week) throughout the year to cover it.

Yes. There are two such fortnights each year, I believe.

48 weeks @ 1/48th ( = 2.08333%) of yearly total, rather than 52 weeks @ 1/52nd. ( = 1.92307%)

The difference is 0.06026% per week, or 6p per £100. So not a lot...

Yes. There are two such fortnights each year, I believe

There is only one rent-free fortnight in Sheffield as of now; there may have been two in the past (I only moved up here a couple of years ago).

As to the question of which two weeks they are; I actually don't know. My guess would be that it's this week and next week. It won't very much matter, though, if you guess wrong and end up being one week behind for two weeks, then paying in a week you don't have to and catching up.

There is only one rent-free fortnight in Sheffield as of now; there may have been two in the past (I only moved up here a couple of years ago).

OK, thanks.

So I'll re-word my last post's contents thus:

50 weeks @ 1/50th ( = 2.00000%) of yearly total, rather than 52 weeks @ 1/52nd. ( = 1.92307%)

The difference is 0.07603% per week, or 7.6p per £100. So not a lot (still)...

no you should carry on paying to the payment agreement if you are in arrears,

especially if you at a stage where court action could be taken.

Was told earlier that if you're in receipt of housing benefit, you get a months free rent, as you normally get paid fortnightly, and if your rent is paid calendar monthly, you end up with 2 extra payments per year, which you do BUT most people have to top their rent up by some amount anyway. So not REALLY true, it just works out that your full rent is indeed covered by your benefits, and you're not really topping anything up.

Paid fortnightly, you end up with 26 payments, which = 13 calendar months

But say you're rent is £500 per month, and you get £460 in benefits adding £40 yourself per month, the extra payments just cover what you have added over the year.

hi im just wondering as i become a council tenant in september i pay full rent .i have been told you get 2 weeks free rent at christmas is this true ?

hi im just wondering as i become a council tenant in september i pay full rent .i have been told you get 2 weeks free rent at christmas is this true ?

Its not really two weeks free as you are paying full rent over 50 weeks of the year instead of 52 weeks.Also to add you only get this if your rent account is in credit if in arrears they advice you to keep paying over this period.

Its not really two weeks free as you are paying full rent over 50 weeks of the year instead of 52 weeks.Also to add you only get this if your rent account is in credit if in arrears they advice you to keep paying over this period.

Jimmy is correct. Rent is calculated on an annual basis, and divided by 50. If you pay weekly or fortnightly and are not in arrears, then you will have two weeks around Christmas when you don't have to pay. If, however, you pay by monthly direct debits they will have been calculated into 12 equal payments.

There doesn't appear to be any info on either the council's or Sheffield Homes' websites yet.

cool i pay weekly dont owe them im in front thanks will check website near to christmas.