Little London Road, Heeley in 30's & 40's

there was little london road the next was little london place and the third street was windsor place. there was a gennel that was at the bottom of little london rd, this lead to all three streets it ran along side of the old coal yard.

it was our meeting place early 60's

hi tinker,

Can't remember a brian gallagher. which school did he go to?

Iremember the scotts, the keys, the housleys, gambles, to name just a few.

but very interesting tinker, thanks for your interest.

hi david downing

I saw your thread on here about steven garbutt, I think I know you. Do you remember working on a farm at coal aston, I think it was syclebrook farm, well I used to work there, in fact it was you who introduced me to the farm, on saturdays. My name is Jim garbutt

Hope to here from you if you remember, you can e mail me on jauntyone_188@hotmail.com

hi tinker,

Can't remember a brian gallagher. which school did he go to?

Iremember the scotts, the keys, the housleys, gambles, to name just a few.

but very interesting tinker, thanks for your interest.

i sent you a pm jaunty .

As I recall, Little London Road ran from London Road/Chesterfield Rd opposite the bottom of Meersbrook Park Road, down towards the railway bridge Under the bridge it did a sharp left turn and ran parallel to the railway then back under the line (at the bottom of Rydal Rd near Abbey Glen laundery. It was then just a track under the 'Rocks' - the old quarry. Where it ran by the railway it was known locally as 'Pick Lane' from the Hardy Patent Pick works.

By the way, these covered rides and footpaths from Little London Rd. Doesn't anybody up there call them 'gennells' any more?

Jauntyone

Sent you a pm. Hope you can help but no names sound familiar so far (except surname!)

Regards

Sandy

Hi I was born and raised at the bottom of Valley Rd untill 1973 ,I used to play with a " Steven Garbutt" Who lived on Little London in the fifties and sixties.

It has got to be the same Family but I cant tell you any more about them

I to remember the sound of trains in the shunting yard and worked at Tyzack sons and Turners till 1973.A bad house fire killed an elderly lady in the early sixties at the bottom of Little London Rd.

Best of luck

Regards

David S Downing

Hi, so you used to play with me when we were both kids. The name rings a bell but I just cant place you - If you like contact me via my MSN addy in my profile and we can have a chat - Steve

Hi Sandie1 My husbands grandparents lived in Little London Road, their name was Needham. He remembers the name Garbutt.

I'm new to this forum but am hoping someone can help.

My grandmother's sister May Jewell married a Sheffield lad and lived on Little London Road, Heeley in the 1930's & 40's. Her husband was called Harry (don't know surname). I have found a marriage for a May Jewel and John Garbutt in 1924 and was wondering if they were the same couple (Harry might have been a nickname or family name).

Does anyone remember Little London Road at that time? I'm told they lived in back to back houses (they're probably not there any more). Does anyone have any old photos of that area?

My problem is that I don't know anything about my grandmother except that she was born in London (somewhere!!) and she had this sister.

I would really appreciate any help. Many thanks in advance

Sandy

Sandy, May Jewell and John Garbutt were my grandparents. My father was Ernie Garbutt, he had a brother Lesley and a sister Stella they also had a young brother (Tommy?) who died aged 2 or 3. Sadly, my father died last year. Please contact me.

Anita

Hi Sandie1 My husbands grandparents lived in Little London Road, their name was Needham. He remembers the name Garbutt.

And my father regularly spoke of a Needham. My father Ernie, was a bit of a tearaway.

Hi - not sure if anyone is still reading this post, but the lady referred to by David S Dowling who died in a house fire, was my great grandmother Clara Degney (nee Harrison). It happened in 1963 - she was 86 and I think that she was going to bed with a candle (she insisted on still using candles as she was old and stuck in her ways). This obviously caught little. It was on the front page of the Sheffield Star.

I think the Harrison family lived at Little London Road for a good 60 years - Clara was registered as living there with her husband in 1911 and before that, her parents Ben and Mary Harrison also lived there.

Clara's children were Ernest, Frank, Lily, Evelyn, John and Sid Degney, if anyone remembers the family.