Possible scams??

Delete anything suspicious is my rule.

This e mail from Alphonsus Igboeri

Good Day

All my efforts to reach you on phone has proved abortive.

Please find the attached for your attention.

Best Regards

The sender's name alerts you!

No, it's fine. Open the attachment, have a ball.

Regards

Alphonsus

Just had a call from a guy at BT to inform me that my internet connection will be disconnected for the next seven days. However he stated that he would be able to talk me through the details of how to solve this problem, I just had to connect my computer to the internet and . . . :help:

I stopped him at this point and asked a few questions, at which point he put the phone down. Mind you it might have been the sharp blasts from the whistle that did it :D

It is so caring of BT to be concerned about my internet connection. In fact I didn't know that BT did technical support for Virgin broadband, still you learn something new every day :roll:

It did cross my mind that this just may have been a scam :loopy: so be careful out there everyone. You may be getting a call soon from this very helpful guy from BT :huh::hihi::thumbsup:

Oh, just remembered, it is a withheld number but as most doctors and hospitals seem to use withheld numbers now it was not a call I could ignore.

Edited by Phili Buster

Just had a call from a guy at BT to inform me that my internet connection will be disconnected for the next seven days. However he stated that he would be able to talk me through the details of how to solve this problem, I just had to connect my computer to the internet and . . . :help:

I stopped him at this point and asked a few questions, at which point he put the phone down. Mind you it might have been the sharp blasts from the whistle that did it :D

It is so caring of BT to be concerned about my internet connection. In fact I didn't know that BT did technical support for Virgin broadband, still you learn something new every day :roll:

It did cross my mind that this just may have been a scam :loopy: so be careful out there everyone. You may be getting a call soon from this very helpful guy from BT :huh::hihi::thumbsup:

Oh, just remembered, it is a withheld number but as most doctors and hospitals seem to use withheld numbers now it was not a call I could ignore.

My wife almost fell to one of the internet scammers. He said he was from

Microsoft, and froze our computer from where ever he was. The trick is you feel you have to follow his steps , but don't, they are after access to your files. If this happens , unplug your computer and re start it, they will move on to the next victim.

I have also had the phone scam from supposedly Canada Revenue Agency, which I ignored. I found out the call was from a Minnesota area code lol

We had a call a few weeks ago from someone who said he was from BT saying there was a problem with the internet. I normally tell them to go away and make love, this time I just put the phone down and rang BT, they had no record of the call but said they do occasionally ring customers about problems, she also said I'd done the right thing in ringing them if there was any doubt.

Latest one I had was just over a week ago. The phone rang and I answered then there was a bit of a pause, and background noise like it was coming from a call centre, then this female voice started up and said...

"Hullo, I'm calling on behalf of the Government...

at which point I became immediately suspicious because the way this girl spoke, for a start, didn't sound very "official" or even (dare I say it?) "educated". She had a broad local accent.

Then she goes on to say - "Am I speaking to the house owner?" At which point I lied and said "yes" - because I'm not the house owner - I just pay the mortgage here - the house is owned by Santander.

She said, "Can I just confirm that you are under 75 years of age?" And I lied again and said "No, I'm not love, sorry" .

She then says: "Are you over 75?" and I said "yes" - and she says, "well, you don't sound it" and then she asks if there's anyone else in the home under 75 and I say "no". The phone goes down immediately and that was that.

It was something to do with home improvements. Maybe glazing or solar panels or cavity wall insulation or something like that.

They are only interested if they think they can get money out of you and it's nothing to do with the government at all of course.

I had one a few days ago saying he was calling from Microsoft Windows. They must have very small windows and think we are all soft.

I had exactly the same phone call. When I rang BT to report it they didn't seem at all concerned. Just told me to put the phone down on them. Why cannot BT trace these scammers ?

The ability to use a fake number should be stopped and made illegal, caller display should be made a free service, only then will we be able to make inroads into phone scams.

Unfortunately that's just how it is these days, sad but true. Its like there is a scam relating to everything nowadays.

Watch out for the gym scam! I had someone call up wanting to update my payment details for my gym membership, I'd never heard of the gym I apparently had a membership to so it was obviously a scam attempt. But if they do find out some of the big gym names in Sheffield I'm sure a few people will end up falling for it.

get BT Call Protect. It is free and easy to use.

They have a data base of black listed numbers which you can add automatically, and you just add all calls of this nature to it.

We were getting about 20 calls a day from those sources (usually based in the sub-continent, or fake local numbers) a few months ago, that has reduced to about one per week.