What's a dee-dar ?

i think nah den dee came to sheffield some three hundred years ago from old jamaca nah den dee was the dad dee da daughter; wife was de woman and den waz de son lived in pitsmoor for many years i think:huh: :huh:

It's what Rotherham-ers and Barnsley-ers call Sheffield-ers. Which is odd, because I don't ever say "What dar doing, dee?". Sounds more like a Barnsley accent to me. I never did get it.

Right on! I work with a few Barnsley lads and they are more Dee Dah than us.

We always pick up on certain things they come out with such as Fotty (forty), Tia (Tea) and Setdi (Saturday).

Right on! I work with a few Barnsley lads and they are more Dee Dah than us.

We always pick up on certain things they come out with such as Fotty (forty), Tia (Tea) and Setdi (Saturday).

Yeah, and my favourite, "I dunt want a cup of tia"!

I first heard this term from some lads i was at college with - they were from Chesterfield and took great joy in referring to us as 'dee dars' :o

Ithink its when refering Sheffield folk ,Its dumb Dee Dar dumb

at first I thought it was the same as a Nee Naw....

Then I remember back and i think it was related to the Clank-Towners?

My neighbour (Barnsley) says "poo-wek" for pork (phonetically, that's a hard one!). He calls spuds 'tay-ties' and definitely has 'tia'. I'm usually quite good deciphering accents but a plumber visited once and I had no clue what he and the neighbour were on about.... just a string of alliterations beginning with 'd'.

Fo'tty has a definite pause in the middle.

He also says 'Ah dunt' and 'thi dunt' but my Rotherham neighbour also says that.

And my dad, who is from Sheffield, says "ah'taa?" when he asks how you are, not dee. " 'Supwith'thi?" also, not dee.

I would say it means "you, you're"

.... as in "hey you, you're ....."

A kinda lazy way of saying "thee, thay're ......"

"Dee, dar ......"

I though Dee dar was 'Did you'. Example Dee dar doo dat (Did you do that?) Which at first can be translated down into Did thar do that but then goes down to Dee dar and so on??

It is aimed at Sheffield folk but generally i fins the accent isn't as strong as it was 20 years ago, possibly sue to newcomers to the city. Now Barnsley is another matter :D

naw den dee, dar pillock!

(now then you, you pillock!)

;)

Nar den dee, don't dee dee dar me ,dee dee dar disen an see ow dar likes it.;) Ar can understand it why carnt dar.:loopy:Shunt dis be under Sheffild chat?