Pets put to sleep at vets

Does anyone know what happens to your animal when you have it put to sleep at the vets - where are they disposed of

Does anyone know what happens to your animal when you have it put to sleep at the vets - where are they disposed of

I've always assumed (and forgive me here people) that they are taken away for incineration.

Although, there was a disturbing report a while back about the bodies of PTS pets being left on council dumps:(

I've always assumed (and forgive me here people) that they are taken away for incineration.

(

yes, thats what happens

I know for a fact that our vets use Elsyum fields crem for dogs, they collect on a weekly basis, the animals are frozen before collection. When Shadow died at home the vet arranged for Elsyum fields to collect him direct and I must be honest I was impressed, the chap was lovely and caring and he was put in the van which is specially lined so that it can be hosed down with disinfectant between collections. He took Shadow straight over to the crem because he was getting a little smelly (nothing new there then!!)and he wanted to put my mind at rest that Shadow would not be carted around in the van all day. I use the vets in Killamarsh on the main road, they also have a practice in Dronfield.

They are cremated in a mass cremation. If you pay to have an individual cremation then you can have the ashes back afterwards.

We had a specific cremation with my cat who died recently we used PCS Pet Cremation Services. They have leaflets in most vets. She arrived back in a lovely box with engraved name plate. I think it cost around £100 extra. I wasnt sure at the time but now am glad we paid for this service. She was a big part of my life for a long time and it only seemed fitting to not just get her thrown out.

i had my cat put to sleep a couple of weeks ago and you have 3 choices

1 - you can take your pet home with you to bury in the garden

2 - have a group cremation

3 - individual cremation

it depends on what you want, i wanted to bury Jessica and i got a lovely garden ornament as a head stone

I dont know about burying in the garden now, the man from elsyan fields says its is against local bye laws to bury in the garden now????

I got Shadow back in a lovely jar, engraved with his name and some flowers and a card to commemorate his life. He is still sitting in his corner! I intended to take him to the sea side to scatter his ashes in the place he loved most, but not ready to do that yet, I am really glad I did have the individual service, I think it cost £80

whenever i've had any of my animals put to sleep my vet has always asked if i've got anyway special to put them. ie, burying in a garden etc. so how come this man says its illegal to do that? surely if it is any vet would not ask the question or give you the choice if it was, its more than their jobs worth. there are certain guidelines i admit eg using lime in the buryal site and that the hole has to be certain depth and height. correct me if i am wrong i do apologise this is my 4th day stopping smoking am a little (lot) edgy!

estweyn, you can still bury in the garden :)

I only left work at Broomhill Vets last week and we always gave the choice of take home to bury, routine cremation (mass), or private cremation where you get the ashes back.

Cremation prices do vary depending on the size of the animal to be cremated.

I recently had to have my beloved dog put to sleep at the vets & he did ask me did i have some where special to put her at home & would i like her ashes back.

I would have loved her ashes back to bury them in the garden but when the vet told me it would be £180.00 to have her put to sleep & cremated in just had to say no!! which broke my heart even more.

I had to pay £80 just to have her put to sleep bless her,why they have to charge so much is beyond me when they know its hard enough what you are having to deal with & do.

I once watched an r.s.p.c.a programme in the 80's which actually showed you what happens to animals mainly dogs/cats when they have been put to sleep/cremated it was horrid to watch.

we had our baby girl ruby cremated at pcs they are wonderful they sent a lovely card. they have a chapel of rest where you can say bye bye. we got ruby back in a nice pine box with her name on it it is expensive but i must say well worth it.