Secondary catchment areas map?

I don't think where you live counts anymore for schools in the area. Silverdale I think, ships kids in from across the city. I know someone who lives in the Beauchief area, Abbey Lane would be the nearest school yet her son has to go to Bradway. She has a car, but it would be a nightmare to get there if she didn't drive

That's not true scousemouse, but I understand why some people might think that.

The first priority is given to children who are in care. The second priority is catchment area. The third, having a sibling at the same school. Proximity to school is also important and whether you can walk/drive there. There are others, but this is how it is arrived at, so "catchment area" is still very important.

With the closure of some schools, like Abbeydale Grange, the pupils from there had to be sent somewhere so a number of schools take their share. There are a fair number of kids from more deprived areas that are bused around the city to various schools as well.

The OP on here would do well to decide which 2 or 3 schools he/she most favours. If we are talking about state schools rather than private ones there are maybe 4 or 5 very good ones in the city. They all offer something slightly different as well. Some are good for music/drama/arts, some are good for maths/sciences etc.

If you aren't already in the catchment area it could be a very expensive exercise to move house. The better schools tend to be in the more expensive areas of the city. It depends what importance you place on it?

School league tables don't tell the full story but children are very influenced by their peer group more than their teachers or parents. So, if your kid is going to a rough school in a run-down area, even if they are very bright, they've got less of a chance of doing well than if they are educated somewhere else.

There are exceptions of course - and many of them. But if you can afford it then choosing a good school will give your kid a better chance of a good start in life and catchment area is VERY important.

I don't think where you live counts anymore for schools in the area. Silverdale I think, ships kids in from across the city. I know someone who lives in the Beauchief area, Abbey Lane would be the nearest school yet her son has to go to Bradway. She has a car, but it would be a nightmare to get there if she didn't drive

My understanding of the catchment areas in sheffield are they are like triangles coming, so some people may live quite a distance from a school but still be in the catchment area. I was told this was to give everyone a chance of getting into some of the 'better' schools in the city and not purely because people can afford to live in a certain area.

Think you'll all find with the introduction of our new academies all previous rules/regs are out thewindow and if your child is "good enough" and has a supporting family the school/academy might accept them

There is a tool on the Sheffield council website that you type in a road name / postcode and it will tell you the catchment area schools ( both primary and secondary).

Be mindful of the advice above, your not guaranteed a place evening catchment areas (although secondary are a little bit better than junior).

I would also read the schools ofsted report, as there are a wide variety of schools offering different things.

you also need to be a pushy parent being in a catchment area dont always mean you will get a school of your choice

Catholic schools also have different catchment areas. Notre Dame and All Saints cover half the city each. Both are outstanding schools.

Catholic Primary schools aslo have larger catchment areas than most other primaries. The council will also be able to give you advice on these.