Writing for Radio - Cornucopia Radio

Hi everybody, just thought I’d give you a bit of background about writing for radio, in case somebody wants to have a go (which they should!)

‘Radio Theatre’ undoubtedly reached its peak popularity in the late forties and throughout the fifties. On both sides of the Atlantic, listeners were treated to a wide mix of suspense, drama, comedy and science-fiction. Radio could help paint a picture in the minds of the audience, transporting them to places they had never dreamed of. But this popularity couldn’t last, and with the advent of television, radio theatre began a very steady decline. However, with 21st-century technology, modern radio drama has experienced an amazing revival, with a growing number of independent producers who are now able to build an audience through internet distribution.

And Sheffield has its own bunch of keen independent producers in the shape of ‘Cornucopia-Radio.co.uk’. We produce a wide mix of work and over the past few months we’ve created...

‘Three Moments’ a series of monologues by Janice Sampson, read by Jennifer Derbyshire, David Chafer & Janice Sampson

‘Green’ by Paul Kenny, a full cast drama set around a local Sheffield ‘Bowling Green’ and it’s members.

‘Thanks to Harry’ by Phil Ryan & read by Ian Carter, a story about a magician using the tricks he’s learnt to create a better world for the people around him.

‘The Bluff Cove Disaster’ by Gareth Smith, a dramatization of a military disaster within the Falklands conflict.

‘The Last Person in this Place’ by Peter Beeston, a post apocalyptic tale of what happens to social networks when they are abandoned.

‘The Tight-Ann-Hic’ by Chris Bellamy, explains how the 'easy to erect and collapse one size fits all canvas-covered chair' got it's first demonstration aboard 'The Tight-Ann-Hic!'...

So, if you want to have a go at turning your own written pieces into audio productions, (either read by yourself, or a larger cast) then why not drop us an email studio@cornucopia-radio.co.uk

We’re not the only source for your scripts though. If you want to find other audio drama companies from around the world, check out audiodramatalk.com, it’s a great place to network within the audio theater world. Lastly, check out wirelesstheatrecompany.co.uk, one of the best independent audio production companies in the UK. They also recently created a blog post about how to write a good radio script.

Okay, that’s it. Hope you’re a little more knowledgeable about what you can do with your radio scripts!

Edited by cornucopia

This is well worth considering. I did something last year where my work was produced into spoken word for Sheffield Live. It was an enlightening and enjoyable experience.

I also listen to at least one radio play / spoken word piece a week to expand and develop my writing skills.

This is well worth considering. I did something last year where my work was produced into spoken word for Sheffield Live. It was an enlightening and enjoyable experience.

You can hear this work by justcustard at

cornucopia-radio.co.uk/home-town-tourist

I also agree with the idea that listening to radioplays and audiobooks is a great way to get a greater grasp on the cadence/structure of the words we try to write. It can also be a great way to create a spark when you suffering from writers-block. Audiobookradio.net is another great location I'd recommend if you're looking for more of this type of work.

Thanks ;)

I know its a little mainstream but BBC radio 3 and 4 still produce regular quality radio plays and radio 4 has recently set up a play of the week podcast which I'd recommend.

The BBC radio weekly drama newsletter will give you some good pointers on what not to miss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/newsletter/drama/join/

The weekly drama podcast can be found here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/ptw

If you want to pick and choose what radio plays you listen to you can you something like radio downloader (http://www.nerdoftheherd.com/tools/radiodld/) and pop the radio production onto your MP3 player and listen at you leisure. The other option obviously is iplayer.

Guest Wyrd

I've just submitted my Afternoon Drama radio play to the BBC's Writersroom (their submission deadline is May 21st.) If it fails to get broadcast, maybe you guys could take a look at it. It would be an ambitious production, however. It's far from a monologue.

I've just submitted my Afternoon Drama radio play to the BBC's Writersroom (their submission deadline is May 21st.) If it fails to get broadcast, maybe you guys could take a look at it. It would be an ambitious production, however. It's far from a monologue.

Hi there. If you don't have any luck with the BBC send us the script. We'll take a look and if it's something we can do, we'll have a go at producing it.

Support Sheffield scriptwriters; that's what we say!

Guest Wyrd

Thank you, I'll be certain send it on to you if it's rejected.