Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

can any one remember prince edward foot ball team of 1948

---------- Post added 28-12-2012 at 19:21 ----------

Edward hobson was one of my best freinds we played together allthe time

he stade to school meals i went HOME for mine . I got back before the ambulance arrived . apparrently he WAS playing at the back of one of those trucks that clean out road drains and it backed over him it was somethig you NEVER FORGET.

Does anyone remember Brian Sturgess, or any of his family? He lived on Wulfric Rd next to Hagues. I think he was a friend of my nannan, Pam Eyre, but she lost touch with him after about 1960

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 18:44 ----------

His parents were called Lily and Leonard and he had a sister named Lindaand a brother called Ron. He may have married a lady named Marjorie but not sure for a fact

I lived on the Manor from 1963 till i grew up.

We lived on Motehall Road, i went to Pipworth school, then Waltheof School.

I left school in 1977 ( officially) lol

I remember playing on ten-town, going to collect frog spawn in jam jars from where the parkway is now.

Getting some crisp and pop from the Motehall pub or Steel Inn,Three Feathers.

The chinese chippy across from the Steel Inn had the best fishcakes in all Christendom.

Weeds was the name of the shop across from the Steel Inn, and from the shop on the end we could buy one cig and a match lol

I remember going on day trips to the seaside with the Motehall and Streel Inn

( Cleethorpes)

We would go out to play all day and as long as we were home before the street lights came on we were fine.

We always had the biggest bonfire on our street come november the 5th ( Oh Yes we did!! )

AHH-- the good old days!

I lived on the Manor from 1963 till i grew up.

We lived on Motehall Road, i went to Pipworth school, then Waltheof School.

I left school in 1977 ( officially) lol

I remember playing on ten-town, going to collect frog spawn in jam jars from where the parkway is now.

Getting some crisp and pop from the Motehall pub or Steel Inn,Three Feathers.

The chinese chippy across from the Steel Inn had the best fishcakes in all Christendom.

If its the chinese chippy i am thinking of, were they the savoury fishcakes? if so they were the best, never tasted any as nice since.

I can remember The Steel Inn being built and the shops across from it being built too and the Manor fields when they were fields. I lived in Harborough Avenue just a few doors from the Steel.

I can remember The Steel Inn being built and the shops across from it being built too and the Manor fields when they were fields. I lived in Harborough Avenue just a few doors from the Steel.

Did you live near a family called Coates.

What year was the Steel Inn built Lazarus? I lived at 169 Harborough Ave from 1961 to '66.

know this may be going off track a little...does anyone remember filming in manor club early eighties?think it was Richard or david dimblby...don't know which ones which..am desperate to find it as my mom dad and brother are in it

What year was the Steel Inn built Lazarus? I lived at 169 Harborough Ave from 1961 to '66.

I cant remember the exact year but it was around 1953/54

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Edited by lazarus

I wasn't born till 1972 but I did live on the manor until 1983ish! My gran was born in 1923 and moved onto the manor estate in 1927 when the building of the council estate was all but complete. She lived at 65 The Circle with her parents Harry Jackson and Charlotte Jackson (otherwise Bell)! She had a sister called Annie was born in 1921. Harry Jackson was a builder and was also a serial womaniser! It is rumoured that he had lots of women and we believe probably a few kids from his various "flings"! Charlotte was forever throwing him out and recently we've been told the reason he could never marry Charlotte was that he was already married to someone else but we aren't 100% certain. Charlotte and Harry both died in 1953 and my gran who married my grandad in 1948 continued to live in that house until 2001 when my gran had to move because they were pulling the houses down, my grandad died in 1982 and was quite popular, especially in the mote hall pub! His name was willis smith, my gran and grandad had 4 children - Joyce, Margaret, barry and carol, they all went to pipworth school except for carol who did her senior years at hurlfield. My gran is still with us at the age of 89 and now lives at woodhouse, sadly she is now in the last stages of Alzheimer's .

It would be great if someone could fill in the gaps or even if anyone knows any of the stories regarding Harry.

i lived at 9 desmond crescent, in 1939, and next door were the Botham family, and the Smyths lives at 11, then the mastermans.

Were many on the forum born on or lived on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s.

If so, What are your childhood memories, Have you a inclination to find others who you went to school or played with? If you moved from the estate, where did you go to?

Did you attend Stand House Junior School, Pipworth Road, Prince of Wales or St Theresa.

Can you recall the raft on both pit ponds at the Manor Top?

Going to Ford via the Old Arrow?

The tossing Ring on the nunnery Pit tip?

Why has the manor estate now got a bad reputation when the people who live there now have got or own riches which as youngsters use to dream off. For me that was mainly acquiring a good meal!!

Do you remember this ryme that we use to chant about the Prince of Wales School Head:-

Old Pop Sephton, Was A Good Man,

He went to church on Sunday's.

He prayed to god,

To give him strength.

To cane ALL the kids

On Monday's!!

In years to come, Someone will write about the Manor Estate and be very pleased that you have left your contribution.

my kids went to prince Edwards