Walk In Centre, Royal Hallamshire Hospital

I have used the walk-in centre several times and also taken my mother there, and I have always found it an excellent service, with minimal waiting times. It is also very handy to have it at the Hallamshire as this permits quick referrals to other walk-in clinics (a huge relief when I had scratched my cornea).

Was very impressed by the service at the walk In Centre at the Hallamshire as went recently as had an enlarged testicle.

Very good service as recently been there with a medical problem

A relative of mine collapsed whist at the Walk-In Centre at the Hallamshire, and a friend recently did also. They both had life threatening condition (my friend died shortly after) and both were rushed straight into the Hallamshire. Time was of the essence in both cases. If they had to go to Broad Lane and then the Hallamshire maybe neither of them would be here.:(

Do you think the location of the walk in centre where it is at the moment (Hallamshire Hospital) is a good place for it to be? I was just thinking would it affect many people to move it down to Broad Lane?

I don't know where Broad Lane is. The obvious place for a walk-in centre would be in the City Centre itself, so that people don't have to take two buses to reach it.

I've been a few times and it's in a convenient location for me so don't think it should be moved

Calling it a "walk in" Centre is a bit of a misnomer if you are not particularly mobile as parking at the Hallamshire is such a problem. If that problem could be overcome, then I would prefer it to stay at the Hallamshire because of the closeness to other facilities.

I've been a few times and it's in a convenient location for me so don't think it should be moved

What about the other 699,999 people in Sheffield? Does it matter if it's in a convenient location for them?

Used it last year sat and waited over an hour only to be told I needed to go to the minor injuries unit at the NGH. It was only an abcess on my finger that had turned green and wanted lancing, no idea why they could not do it at the Hallamshire minor injuries unit.

What about the other 699,999 people in Sheffield? Does it matter if it's in a convenient location for them?

I don't mean it's a convenient location as in i live nearby, i'm in Handsworth so bloomin' miles away from it! I mean it's on a decent bus route so easy to get too!

Edited by Idler

At the Hallamshire there are two departments, the Walk in Clinic and the Minor Injuries Unit.

The Walk in Clinic is more like going to the doctors. In my experience they're also extremely slow. For example, a couple of years ago I had an ear infection that caused the ears to wax up to make me rather deaf. After looking on the Minor injuries unit website, it said that they dealt with this sort of thing. After waiting three hours, I was informed that they don't and I should go to Rotherham. Needless to say I was rather annoyed.

The Minor Injuries Unit on the other hand, is excellent. Seeping pustules (resulting in an extra large comedy NHS thumb bandage) and assorted injuries I can't deal with, all sorted within 15 minutes of arrival.

I would prefer to have these services as part of the Hospital. If it turns out there's something serious going on then you don't have to go very far. The Hallamshire is also on a load of bus routes. Broad Lane isn't.

K.