Anyone with Sky broadband use limewire or torrents?

Does anyone with sky broadband and wireless router use torrents or more usefully limewire? I have set a friends wireless up, the internet works but he is getting no joy using limewire. I think Sky lock the router down a bit, I tried port forwarding but don't really know what I am doing as have no such problems on cable. What do I have to do to get it working? Can I default the router? open required ports?? I am confused!

Cheers

:)

in brief you need to open a port on your router that your torrent program uses and link that to the ip address of the pc which is doing the downloading

http://www.portforward.com has a good tutorial and you can make it specific to your router.

I have got to point out downloading copywritten files if you do not own the licence is illegal however open source programs are available on there as well i believe

It's all for legit purposes. I have accressed the router and thought I had set that up, I kind of hoped someone one here might have got it working.

I have absolutely no problems using Limewire or torrents. Not tried it on my laptop through a wireless connection though, only on my PC which is directly connected to the router, but I can't imagine it would be any different.

I use XTorrent via my Sky router/broadband with no problems. I'm not at home right now to check, but I think all I did was assign the program to use a random high-numbered port, then set the router's firewall to match.

I have got to point out downloading copywritten files if you do not own the licence is illegal however open source programs are available on there as well i believe

Not entirely accurate.

It is certainly not a criminal offence to download copyright material, though it is a civil offence, and the copyright holder can take legal action through the civil courts if they have evidence that you have done so.

Uploading is a different matter entirely, by uploading you are actually distributing material, which is a criminal offence.

With Torrents you are uploading as well as downloading, so criminal action could be taken (and has been taken).

With something like Usenet or Rapidshare, where you are downloading only, it's entirely up to the copyright holder to take civil action against you, if they can provide evidence that you have downloaded anything.

The thing is with Torrents, is that your IP address is visible to anyone on the same tracker as you, and can be instantly traced back to your internet provider, and eventually to you.

Copyright law in the UK is geared towards prosecuting the distributer, not the reciever, for example, when trading standards raid dodgy car boot sales and market stalls for pirated DVDs/CDs/Games, they always arrest the seller, never the buyers.

I'm not trying to glorify illegal P2P use, I'm just trying to clear up a little misconception.

no problems here using sky on a wireless connection for limewire pal

Not entirely accurate.

It is certainly not a criminal offence to download copyright material, though it is a civil offence, and the copyright holder can take legal action through the civil courts if they have evidence that you have done so.

Uploading is a different matter entirely, by uploading you are actually distributing material, which is a criminal offence.

With Torrents you are uploading as well as downloading, so criminal action could be taken (and has been taken).

With something like Usenet or Rapidshare, where you are downloading only, it's entirely up to the copyright holder to take civil action against you, if they can provide evidence that you have downloaded anything.

The thing is with Torrents, is that your IP address is visible to anyone on the same tracker as you, and can be instantly traced back to your internet provider, and eventually to you.

Copyright law in the UK is geared towards prosecuting the distributer, not the reciever, for example, when trading standards raid dodgy car boot sales and market stalls for pirated DVDs/CDs/Games, they always arrest the seller, never the buyers.

I'm not trying to glorify illegal P2P use, I'm just trying to clear up a little misconception.

I though usenet was 100% legal as you are downloading txt files, I thought it was the decoding of them txt files that was illegal??

Used Limewire For A While Had 2 Wireless Pc's Using It And A Wired One...but It Always Seems Get Tempremental After A While And Stop Working Alltogether Includint The Wired One...started Using Filecroc Instead, prefer it better