Living in Woodseats?

Yeah, lots of mediocre to crap pubs.

I'm not a pub snob.

Looking at your location it is worth remarking that we sometimes have a wander up to the pubs of norton lees, just five minutes walk from woodseats, I have had many saturday nights in the prince of wales.

And also the pubs at heeley bottom, about 20 mins walk down hill. where there is the excellent white lion and the beardy real ale pub sheaf view.

Another easy walk is millhouses, where the waggon and horses is a real gem and the robin hood is quite good.

So a Woodseats resident has a pick of around 18 pubs which can easily be walked to, for anyone who likes a pint there really is superb variety available.

Happy with the pub situation :)

Then again I'm not too picky where I drink aslong as there's not people doing lines off the table next to me.

Cheers for that guys.

I was originally looking at the top side of chesterfield road as it appealed to me more but was exploring the other side of the road today around holmhirst road which seemed nice. Is it just in my head or are there proper pros and cons to each side?

Are the roads round holmhirst used as rat runs at all? Noticed traffic calming etc.

Would anyone be able to advise on this?

Ta

The roads around holmhirst road are not used as rat runs any longer because the council has made traffic calming measures and put a one way section in.

Years ago we used to get chavs racing up and down to try to beat the traffic on the main road, but not now, the roads are fairly quiet.

Gets very busy at night, good atmosphere.

Gets very busy at night, no atmosphere.

Good beer though.

I've lived in Woodseats for a bout 10 years and overall it's a great place to live. The roads around Homhirst are very nice and there isn't a major traffic problem there.

Some pros:

Fantastic range of ameneties within a short walk including massive Graves Park and more shops than you can handle.

Still a community spirit/feel about living here. Very friendly compared to some places

Far more Blades than the other lot.

Decent schools (not the best but far from the worst).

Low crime - obviously it has its problems but it's always felt very safe to me and my family.

Never short of curry or Chinese options

Some cons:

Pretty poor pubs in Woodseats itself - though this is always going to be down to personal taste, it's a view shared by quite a few people I know.

Poor choice of restaurants if you like eating out.

Not good getting home if you're trying to get down MEadowhead though they've recently changed the traffic system again so that may improve a little

I live up at Norton but shop in Woodseats regularly...you can't beat it IMO...prefer it to Ecclesall Roads pubs/eateries/shops...would have no hesitation in living there if my circumstances ever changed.

Dil Shad is a superb indian and Hong Kong Chef is a fab chinese!!

:D

Cheers Tuns, Shiesh - very helpful.

Decided now :)

I've lived in Woodseats for 20 years now and can't see myself ever moving to anywhere else within Sheffield. It might not be the most sophisticated area but we have a little bit of everything you need, doctors, dentists, libraries, a variety of shops, a nearbyish swimming pool, good transport links, plenty of takeaways, a post office, pubs, several reasonable restaurants, a great butcher and a wet fish shop. We even have a bookshop! and three parks within easy walking distance. And two primary schools and in catchment for one of the better secondaries.

And I live there ... what more could you possibly want! ;)

Edited by rubydazzler
forgotten to mention the schools.

Been here 2.5 years, live just off the bottom of Woodseats Road.

Walking distance to Millhouses Park, Graves park, and as others have said loads of pubs, shops ammenties. Great neighbours, i love the area.

If we look to upgrade to a bigger house ill definitly be staying in the S8 area, maybe venture to Heeley as you get a bit more house for your money than in Woodseats.

Edited by Sarah1982

We live at the top of the hill (Norton Woodseats) but I relly like the area myself. If only it had a great pub, somewhere like The Sheaf View or Rutland Arms.

It's got the Big Tree, what more do you want? :hihi:

Theres the odd Alco trying to sell you 1.5 ltrs of Vodka for twelve pounds and fifty pence, other than that it`s sound :banana:

Hey its not my fault you keep buying it :hihi: