Hillsborough Car Park - parking ticket

yes i have, its the first thing i look for when i park my car.

It's an unprovable claim, since you would never know you haven't seen a sign. Even where you see one, you might have not noticed some other one (not that it would matter assuming they both say the same thing, but .. you see the point.)

It's an unprovable claim, since you would never know you haven't seen a sign. Even where you see one, you might have not noticed some other one (not that it would matter assuming they both say the same thing, but .. you see the point.)

its quite simple, i used to work car parks so i know (or did if any law has changed since then) how it works.....

If someone is driving and manages to read one of these signs (usually very small writting). I'd say they are bad drivers as not concentrating on the road.

If you look at traffic signs the are big and not many works.

If a simple sign on entrance said PRIVATE CAR PARK. Then I can understand and people deserve to be fined.

But if the private bit of a car park has a sign like this. You may park for a maximum of 15 minutes. If this is exceeded + 400 more words I say fine is not deserved.

This is probably the wrong thread but does everyone not look for something saying you CAN park whenever you park your car? I will always assume I can't unless something states I can park there for free. So it wouldn't matter what the sign was like as unless I saw it I would assume I couldn't park there in the first place. This could be where people go wrong when they are surprised by unexpected parking charges.

On a few occasions I have wanted to park in what seems like a legitimate place to park but not done so as there was nothing saying it was allowed. It is always safer to do this, I am even pretty wary of parking on a public road if the signage is unclear.

Edited by Cynic

its quite simple, i used to work car parks so i know (or did if any law has changed since then) how it works.....

But you don't know that you have always spotted every sign that was being shown. You can't. Nobody ever can.

This is probably the wrong thread but does everyone not look for something saying you CAN park whenever you park your car? I will always assume I can't unless something states I can park there for free.

Too many people know that, whether or not they're allowed to park, they will get away with doing so because trespassing on private land is a civil offence and almost nobody will bother to go through the courts.

That the Government is now going to make enforcement illegal on private land, means the problem will only get worse.

I have just received a Parking Fine for leaving my car 20min in the 'Urban & Rural Estates' parking permit area at Hillsborough Shopping Centre. Apparently this part of the car park which joins the public one, is managed by a camera. I did not notice the sign which distinguishes the two car parks and consequently I have received a demand for £80, £50 if I pay within 4 days.According to the fine notice from a firm called 'Parking Eye' I am only allowed 15min and I had been there 20. It is quite a threatening demand notice and I was wondering if anybody else had received a similar demand and successfully challenged it? Do I just ingnore it?

Just to let people know I did ignor the threatening letters and they eventually dried up

Just dont do what i heard another sheffield forumer did, ignored them all, they told a small white lie, it wasnt from a Parking company, it was from Sheffield city council for parking in a urban clear way near broomhill, when the signs clearly state you can park there between certain times!

Ignoring it got him a court summons and a larger fine.

Just to let people know I did ignor the threatening letters and they eventually dried up

And to let everyone know, it has happened where people ignore these pcn's get taken to court and then loose, pay the pcn and court charges.

You really need to think when you park, and for the people who are oblivious to their surroundings, dont notice the signs etc, do you also forget to do things like pay for petrol after filling up? Or forget to pay for stuff in shops?

Same thing happened to me! I was not happy. Its the same sign as the one in the main bit of the car park so thought it said the same thing! I did pay it though. I sent a cheque because if you pay over the phone or over the internet they charge you an extra £2.50! Whether its credit or debit card! What a joke! And £50 is a lot of money for going 5 or 10 minutes over! Ridiculous! :rant:

And to let everyone know, it has happened where people ignore these pcn's get taken to court and then loose, pay the pcn and court charges.

You really need to think when you park, and for the people who are oblivious to their surroundings, dont notice the signs etc, do you also forget to do things like pay for petrol after filling up? Or forget to pay for stuff in shops?

If it's a penalty ticket by the police or the council you shouldn't ignore it.

An invoice issued by a private company is not the same thing.

I have just received a penalty notice too, I parked there at 6:43 pm and picked the car up the following morning at 7:53 am!! It says that because I parked there for 13+ hours I have to pay £80!! What a joke, there were a couple of other cars parked in there, so I made the assumption that like every other car park I know of in Sheffield they allow parking in an evening. (Apart from the car parks with barriers)

Wonder what your thoughts on this are and if there is anything I can do?