Handy Husbands. Business opportunity.

You're right, I am confused. It takes only minutes to change a lightbullb, so 15 minutes on minimum wage should probably cost no more than £2.50.

OAP's seem to be ripe pickings for con men, and anyone who would charge a vulnerable OAP £50 for changing a light bulb I think falls into that catagory, although no doubt there will be others who disagree.

Same with fees for sheltered housing, and the various schemes that are supposed to help old people but whose main aim to part them from their life savings. They might desperately need help, but surely it should not be at any cost. Too many people seem happy to exploit others these days.

These sort of services, and homecare, homehelps etc used to be done by the council for 'free,' and it was a better world because of it. Since privatisation it just seems to be a licence to rip people off.

How did you manage to arrive at a fee of £2.50 for changing a lightbulb? Where do you think they would be travelling from and back to and how would they travel and earn enough money for £2.50 to cover time on site and travel timel?

How did you manage to arrive at a fee of £2.50 for changing a lightbulb? Where do you think they would be travelling from and back to and how would they travel and earn enough money for £2.50 to cover time on site and travel timel?

I'm using the same method that carers get.

Minimum wage, docked for less than whole hours worked, .

1 hour = £10.00ish

15 minutes +£2.50

and no time or travelling allowance.

If you don't think that's fair, then lend your support to the many thousands of carers who have no choice but to accept these conditions.

1 hour = £10.00ish

15 minutes +£2.50

If you don't think that's fair, then lend your support to the many thousands of carers who have no choice but to accept these conditions.

I did it for a while between jobs. We got paid for dropping children back from contacts with 'alleged' parents, to their foster carers but not for the time taken between care jobs. I had one client who was a five minute walk away. After I blew the whistle on his money-grabbing family, I was out of work. That is another problem we carers face. The company paid us a few pence over the minimum wage plus a pound 'holiday' pay.

1 hour = £10.00ish

15 minutes +£2.50

You are forgetting this is the money the employee receives not the employer. Read my post and you will see I have already explained this point to you.

If people don't like it, don't accept the job. It happened to me when I was doing agency work. I refused to have a zero hours contract. They tried to change it once I had started. They could have quite easily terminated my contract as I was only a temp but they didn't. I left for another job a few months later.

You are forgetting this is the money the employee receives not the employer. Read my post and you will see I have already explained this point to you.

If people don't like it, don't accept the job. It happened to me when I was doing agency work. I refused to have a zero hours contract. They tried to change it once I had started. They could have quite easily terminated my contract as I was only a temp but they didn't. I left for another job a few months later.

I'm well aware that the employers make money off the backs of people on minimum wage.

Unemployment benefits are such a minefield these days, is it even possible to turn down a job without loss of benefits? Quitting a job, as opposed to being fired, also sees you without benefits. People have rent to pay and other obligations.

1 hour = £10.00ish

15 minutes +£2.50

Does a carer need to buy a van and insure/tax & run it? No!

Does a carer need to employ an accountant to do their books/tax/Vat? No!

If a carer turns up at work not feeling 100% and has an easier day, does it affect their earnings? No!

Is the carer job likely to be a family's main source of income? Probably not.

I'm not a carer and I bet its it bluddy hard, but you are comparing apples and grapes, and as such are out of touch with running a business.

I have already tried to explain that to AnnaB. She is comparing an employees hourly rate to gross income (for that job) of a business. I think we are wasting our time.

Crikey, it was only an idea... Forget it.

Well I like it if anyone starts up and needs someone that can do just about anything I'm your man. I think it's a right good idea

The names a bit tacky and sexist. It's like starting a company called "good cooks, we cook great tasting food unlike your wife"

Hahahaha that would be hilarious lol I could just imagine the look on my mrs face ???

I'm a handyman based in dronfield and make enough to support my family. I changed a light bulb for a new customer yesterday (elderly lady) whose husband had died on xmas morning, I didn't charge her. I was passing and it took 10 minutes as was behind glass bowl. To me that is satisfying helping someone out who's having a tough time. £50 by the sparkie is a **** take. I believe in being fair with people and when that customer needs a.job doing they'll hopefully think of me. Being self employed is about doing a good job for a fair price but also you have to be respectful and sell yourself too.

I'm a handyman based in dronfield and make enough to support my family. I changed a light bulb for a new customer yesterday (elderly lady) whose husband had died on xmas morning, I didn't charge her. I was passing and it took 10 minutes as was behind glass bowl. To me that is satisfying helping someone out who's having a tough time. £50 by the sparkie is a **** take. I believe in being fair with people and when that customer needs a.job doing they'll hopefully think of me. Being self employed is about doing a good job for a fair price but also you have to be respectful and sell yourself too.

Good for you.

At last, an old fashioned, fair minded tradesman doing an honest job and not in it just for the take.

I salute you Sir.