Door to door charity collectors - acceptable hours?

My husband and I support two local charities, and will always pop money into collection boxes of different charities when out and about. I think most of us can make up our own minds who we contribute to and how we do it. We don't need these aggressive people jumping out at us in the shopping centre or knocking on the door.

I wonder how much they make from this particular method. I have had similar experiences late at night. I am also shocked by the way they try to extract the money, and the comments they make about recommending one stops giving money to another charity in order to give to theirs.

One woman was so vehemently set on getting my money, she just laughed at me when I said I didn't have a penny to give her. I asked her how she would find money available to donate to another charity after she had paid £8k in university fees, and thousands of pounds in legal fees, following a nasty familial split, when only working on a part-time basis, and having to raise a child on one's own.

At this point, she did shut up, but did make the comment that perhaps I would give when my situation improved.

I can't believe the nerve of some people. I know they have to raise the cash, but there are ways and means of doing so, and p***ing off the people from whom you are trying to obtain the money, is not a good way to do it.

I am loath to give my bank details to a perfect stranger on my doorstep or on the street, but I did once ask them to give me the necessary forms and I would set up a direct debit at my bank. They are "not allowed" to do that, surely if the charity genuinely wants your money they wouldn't mind who set up the direct debit as long as they got it?

I am loath to give my bank details to a perfect stranger on my doorstep or on the street, but I did once ask them to give me the necessary forms and I would set up a direct debit at my bank. They are "not allowed" to do that, surely if the charity genuinely wants your money they wouldn't mind who set up the direct debit as long as they got it?

I suspect they work on commission per completed 'transaction'.

If you take the form from them and do it all yourself, they have no proof for their boss that you've signed up so they then don't get paid.

I have experience in working in this sector. Basically the guys who turn up on your doorstep are employed by an outside agency that each individual charity uses. Charities would set aside some of their budget to fund the door to door people. They tend to work from 2pm till late and get paid an hourly rate of £7 plus a bonus if they acheive a certain number of sign-ups per week.

They are not from the 'Charity', they are from a company that represents the Charity. Workers adopt a charity for several weeks and then move on to a different charity. I am told that some charities raise 80% of their income via door knocking.

and contrary to popular belief if you continue to give beyond a year or so almost all the money goes to the charity in question.

If you want to donate to the BHF pop into the shop in town and make your donation that way you know your money is going to the charity

I'm amazed some people feel the need to justify themselves or even have rows with these doorstepper vultures. If you have no intention of donating to anybody who turns up on your doorstep just say no thanks and close the door. They aren't going to hassle you or start banging on your windows, just try next door.

I don't get into a discussion with them.

I already have direct debits set up to a number of charities (which I change occasionally) and those are the charities I have chosen to support this year.

I may donate next year or the year after to another charity, but not this year. Please feel free to leave your charity's information, thank you, goodbye (closing door).

EDIT- this is to those who actually stay outside the door after knocking it. If they knock the door and then run back behind the gate and close it, after hearing the dog barking and reading the signs, then I may not answer the door at all.

Some of the "charity" workers knocked at our door too some time ago, late afternoon, they presented their charity ID card but during the talk I realized they have been hired by any company on behalf of that charity. And they told me they are paid from number of donations they collect, so they usually do long hours daily. I think the money any bigger charity paid to the hiring company could be spent better for the main charity goal.

Any charity worker knocking door to door uninvited gets explained that they have just cost that charity my support now and in the future. The charity name is added to my blacklist, and email sent to the charity explaining why they lost my support.

I don't want to be answering my door to strangers, especially if it's dark. I don't want someone braying on my door/doorbell when my kids are asleep. It's time we had a doorstep version of TPS.

They always start by telling you that they have been to see all your neighbours and have had a fantastic response, then expect you to give your bank details to them. Charities are the most inefficient way way of solving social problems because hardly any of the money you give them filters down to the good cause in question. Most gets creamed off for wages, commission for the collectors, admin costs, leaflets etc. They are private companies out to make money for the people who run them by appealling to our consciences. I'm glad I don't have one.